Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP Installs is this normal ?  (Read 1650 times)

asfish123

• Just arrived
FTTP Installs is this normal ?
« on: December 23, 2023, 09:57:59 AM »

I was wondering if other people's experiences with FTTP installs are the same as mine or whether what I’ve observed is unusual.

A couple of years ago, Zzoomm came to my road, which is around half a mile long, and installed fiber along the whole road. At the same time, Trooli were installing fiber using the telegraph poles to get the fiber to houses in my area. They backed out of my road because permits were needed for each pole as they also carry power. Apparently, Openreach has permits for all poles by default, while others need to apply.

Once Zzoomm finished, I had their 2 Gbps package installed. Around three months later, a third ISP (sorry, I forget the name) arrived and started digging up the road again. This time, they did not cover the full length and stopped a couple of hundred meters from my house (I live towards the top of my road).

At the same time, Openreach turned up and started connecting houses via the telegraph poles. The dust had barely settled when Virgin arrived and again dug up the road. They stopped even further away from my house, covering maybe 30% of the road.

Outside my house, I have one connection in the pavement for Zzoomm. As I walk down the road, houses have two and then three connections towards the bottom.

So, what my road has been left with is a number of products that are inferior to Zzoomm, as none of them offer symmetrical speeds and, in most cases, there is little to be saved in terms of costs.

I can’t understand how the ISPs can justify the cost of installation when Zzoomm got most of the fiber business because people couldn’t wait to ditch the poor FTTP service my road and many others in the area had.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: FTTP Installs is this normal ?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 11:22:54 AM »

I'd be happen to have just one FTTP choice let alone five, but it'll likely be years before I get even that!
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 12:40:34 PM »

We have 3 but only one offers a symmetrical connection. The other 2 were late to the party...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 02:29:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure the ISP's have done their groundwork (pardon the pun), on their packages and price-points.

For example ... never, will I ever, require a 1Gbps upstream speed. Even if it's only five quid a month more than a 30Mbps upstream package.
It really does come down to individual requirements, expectations and affordability.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 03:59:00 PM »

I'd give my left arm for a symmetric connection, however my only way to get this at present is an EAD. I think I'll keep the arm.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2023, 07:04:14 AM »

I'd give my left arm for a symmetric connection, however my only way to get this at present is an EAD. I think I'll keep the arm.

Well yeah, you'd have no body parts left if you got EAD for a year.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2023, 08:57:12 AM »

We only have Virgin or a poor FTTC service.

Our estate is DIG, so whilst all around the estate has FTTP, Virgin and FTTC. Apart from Vfast (wireless) and mobile there are no other options.

I'd love to get away from Virgin, but it's the only option for a fast service - I'm on the 350/30 package.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 09:53:55 AM »

Well yeah, you'd have no body parts left if you got EAD for a year.

I can get one for 300 a month and I could afford it, but, that’s too much money.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 12:57:21 PM »

I can get one for 300 a month and I could afford it, but, that’s too much money.

I assume that's not Gigabit though?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors