Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Finally FTTP is now available in my street  (Read 2548 times)

carringj

• Just arrived
Finally FTTP is now available in my street
« on: December 16, 2023, 11:43:06 AM »

Hi,

As the title says, I now have FTTP available in my street and I have placed my order.  I have been at the mercy of an unreliable VDSL connection for years, so will be glad to have full fibre.

I have a question regarding the removal of the copper connection. Openreach will do the install on the 8th January and the VDSL connection will cease on the 12th Jan. I would really like to get rid of the BT socket and copper to avoid having yet another hole drilled into the wall. My connection currently comes in from a telegraph pole. Do you think If I ask the OR engineer nicely, they will remove the old socket and copper wire?

By the way, for those of you who get gloomy seeing December 2026 on the Openreach website for FTTP build in your area. Up until last month, it was Dec26 for my street, then I received an email from OR saying it would be Dec23! Towards the end of November there were OR vans all over the place and now FTTP has gone live. So you never know, FTTP might come sooner than you think.

Thanks

jaydub

• Reg Member
Re: Finally FTTP is now available in my street
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 04:54:55 PM »

Do you think If I ask the OR engineer nicely, they will remove the old socket and copper wire?

That's what they did for me.  It was an OR subcontractor rather than an OR engineer, but I can't see why that would make any difference.  It saves them drilling another hole through the wall, so I would have thought they would be more than happy to oblige.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 05:40:46 AM »

Especially if its a drop wire from the pole to directly outside your premises.  Engineer used the old cable to pull the fibre across for mine and it was still a pain for a single person to do.  He actually had to get me to help him pull the fibre while he tensioned the wall bracket as its a long span so kept trying to pull itself back out and each time got stuck on a neighbours shed roof so he couldn't pull it back alone.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 07:06:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 09:22:22 AM »

Good luck for the 8th :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

carringj

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 11:39:11 AM »

Hi,

Thank you so much for your replies. I will give you an update after it has been installed.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 08:28:35 PM »

Just had mine done and OR will remove the copper. So you don't need to worry.
Still have my copper sticking out of the socket,but it's waiting for the fiber to actually be installed!
Computer said YES! Hole in the ground said NO! ;)
All the best! :)

carringj

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2024, 03:08:59 PM »

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies.

Just an update on this - FTTP installed today and everything is working well. The OpenReach engineer did remove the copper from my property and used the existing hole for the new fibre cable. As mentioned in my original post, the fibre is fed via a telegraph pole - the fibre cable comes directly into the house (no external box, I was expecting one), just an ONT on the inside which I think is a Nokia. The installation was done within an hour.

timmy85

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 10:48:08 PM »

Speedtest result for proof of we won't believe you.  :P

carringj

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 09:35:37 AM »

Speedtest result for proof of we won't believe you.  :P

Haha, here you go. I went for the 300/45 package with BT Business.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 03:12:19 PM »

Great news, seems you happy with the install, I was resigned to thinking would never see FTTP, but I have it available with CF since today which is good as is no OR planned in my part of the city.

timmy85

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 10:01:54 AM »

Haha, here you go. I went for the 300/45 package with BT Business.

:cool:

LLG

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 11:48:14 AM »

While I was reporting an issue with EE yesterday, the rep on the phone said that FTTP looks to be in my area "within the next 3 months" but the OR map is in the black/dark grey "within the next 12 months".

She said she was surprised I haven't seen them working in the area and, honestly, I haven't, so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

The replies here do give me a glimmer of hope, though!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 12:23:55 PM »

While I was reporting an issue with EE yesterday, the rep on the phone said that FTTP looks to be in my area "within the next 3 months" but the OR map is in the black/dark grey "within the next 12 months".

She said she was surprised I haven't seen them working in the area and, honestly, I haven't, so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt.

The replies here do give me a glimmer of hope, though!

PM me your postcode ... I'll see what I can find.

anything