Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I have BT FTTC. Will ordering TalkTalk FTTP cancel BT FTTC?  (Read 2182 times)

heavyrain

I have BT FTTC. Will ordering TalkTalk FTTP cancel BT FTTC?
« on: November 01, 2023, 04:07:24 AM »

I want to order FTTP (Openreach) from a provider that isn't BT. I know if I go to BT FTTP which is a free upgrade, I'll be held to their digital voice for my landline. Now seems like a decent idea to get that landline ported to VoIP via A&A.

I keep seeing conflicting info on this. If I order TalkTalk FTTP (hoping for good Black Friday prices) will this completely leave the FTTC connection in place? I want this so I can test the FTTP connection and if for some reason it's bad I just fall back to FTTC.

Will TalkTalk FTTP do what I want or any FTTP for that matter? (whichever has the better prices). I ask because Vodafone has a thing on their site where they ask for your landline number as do Sky. I'm rather worried as during the TalkTalk checkout this is said:

"Remember, once the installation is complete, you will not have a working landline service".

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: I have BT FTTC. Will ordering TalkTalk FTTP cancel BT FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 04:33:32 AM »

Is there an option when ordering for a "new" service where you only add your address and not telephone number?

In theory no ISP by default should take over your existing service if you are ordering a new installation.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:13:56 AM »

are they migrating the landline number?
Both services should run simultaneously, as the Openreach engineer is working on installing for one CP TalkTalk, they cannot disconnect a service for another CP BT, unless they are migrating the service.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 11:27:54 AM »

You don't have to have BT Digital Voice with FTTP, you can order FTTP without landline and use any third party VoIP provider.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 02:13:47 PM »

Don't provide a landline number, and say you are ordering a new service, not a service migration.  If you can't get the ISP to confirm this is what is happening, cancel the order with them.  I was able to do this with Zen when I went to FTTP, though they wouldn't be on my recommended list for other reasons now.

Once you have the new service up and running and are happy with it, transfer the voice number to AAISP VOIP.  This will trigger a cease on your copper services usually.

Note that the transfer of the number to AAISP is a bit one way, as AAISP don't have number porting agreements with many providers.  This means in future if you wanted to port the "landline" number to another provider you may not be able to (or may have to port it to a supported provider first).  The AAISP VOIP service is reasonably priced enough though that you're perhaps unlikely to need to.

heavyrain

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 04:21:55 PM »

Since all ISP have online order process I have no way of knowing if an order will be new or migration. You would think since FTTP has not been installed that the order would not be classed as a migration.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ISP that will do what I want?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 05:05:43 PM »

Like I said, I'd avoid giving them your landline number as I think they need it to order a migration so it would have to be treated as a new service without it.

Plus given you have a landline on your current service, you should get a warning from your current ISP if the new one tries to cancel the POTS service rather than order a new service, in which case you can tell them you didn't authorise it.

I can't really give first-hand experience as my landline was with BT and broadband with Zen, which I migrated to FTTP.  So it never had a chance to touch the POTS service to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 05:08:09 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

heavyrain

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 05:49:38 PM »

Ah so you're thinking if I order with say TalkTalk I'll get an email from BT soon after saying something like "We see you're leaving" or similar that will let me know it's a migration? If I don't get that email then I should be ok?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 08:33:02 PM »

Basically yeah.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 08:41:49 AM »

Ah so you're thinking if I order with say TalkTalk I'll get an email from BT soon after saying something like "We see you're leaving" or similar that will let me know it's a migration? If I don't get that email then I should be ok?
Get in touch with them after you place the order and make them confirm they're not migrating.  If you can't get confirmation, just cancel it if you care about it happening the way you want.
You should be able to speak to someone. 

I have 2 ONTs now at my house and when I try to order from TalkTalk retail I get the following - so they clearly must have a team of people who can deal with such matters.

"Multiple connections have been found at your address
Our system shows multiple fibre connection boxes (ONTs) at your address.

To continue with your order, we need to identify which connection belongs to you. Please call a member of our team on 08000497844"

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 03:55:56 PM »

You don't have to have BT Digital Voice with FTTP, you can order FTTP without landline and use any third party VoIP provider.
Yes, very true, but having chosen the Digital Voice option as many did  in order to retain long standing LL number when migrating from FTTC, VDSL to FTTP, Zen to BT in my case, now find it's not possible to get phone service away from BT (retaining original number) without loosing BB service as well, once activated, BT appear to treat BB and Digital Voice as a package :(
Belive Ofcom do not agree with this BT practice and have been seeking to change for some time.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

heavyrain

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 05:17:27 PM »

When I contacted EE about this (since EE handle broadband now) they told me that digital voice is now on a separate 30 day rolling contract from the broadband. Maybe this is one of the improvements EE has over BT but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Maybe just a misinformed support person.

One idea I had was to transfer my FTTC to AAISP which will allow a renumber and export so I can then have more time to see who is better. I tried to contact AAISP about this. People are like "wow AAISP have great customer service"... I literally can't get them to answer a basic question about my scenario. I've had better support from BT!

TalkTalk's black friday sale is... basically nothing. They don't have a setup fee!!!!! Which it didn't have before or if it did it was like £9 or something... pretty pathetic. Not even £1 off a package.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 08:37:27 PM »

When I contacted EE about this (since EE handle broadband now) they told me that digital voice is now on a separate 30 day rolling contract from the broadband. Maybe this is one of the improvements EE has over BT but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Maybe just a misinformed support person.
Interesting, as EE is now owned by BT would like to think that the same ruling would apply to their customers, however, as you say these "affiliated companies" are inclined to operate on completely different policies even though under the same "top ownership", for example Plusnet, which has been owned by BT for many years has always operated completely independantly with a completely different policy framework to BT, I used Plusnet ADSL/VDSL BB & LL service for 9 years so can testify to that.

Hopefully by the time my 2 year contract is up with BT next March they will be "singing from the same hymn sheet" as EE and I will be able to migrate my LL (retaining my number) to a third party VOIP service without loss of BB :fingers:

Iain

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 10:40:05 PM »

EE has been part of the BT Group since 2016.
But as stated, and as per OFCOM regs have operated independently as an ISP. The Big BT influence however has had an impact, routers are all now based on the same platform, different flavours for BT Retail / Plusnet and EE.

Some say the bean counters have diluted the individual experience, and now the marketeers are trying to realign the group - not sure back office is keeping up though, front line even less so.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 12:03:17 PM »

EE has been part of the BT Group since 2016.
Didn't realise the connection went back that far, thought it was a relatively recent marriage.
Perhaps it's just what appears to be their increase in TV advertising of their BB product that led me to that opinion.