Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgate TNSR  (Read 2351 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Netgate TNSR
« on: October 16, 2023, 11:56:54 AM »

https://www.netgate.com/tnsr

Anyone used this? It really all that?

It's going to have to be something pretty special to get me away from my usual software router options.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Netgate TNSR
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »

I want to have a look at this too, just hadn't gotten round to it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 12:53:31 PM by dee.jay »
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »

Given energy prices these days, it might save money in the short term but I'd imagine it quite expensive over time.

Although if indeed the bespoke alternatives are six figures, I guess it may still work out cheaper, but not very environmentally friendly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 04:38:46 PM »

I've no idea what you're talking about here, Alex. Please elaborate? It's software and free for personal/lab use?
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »

I've no idea what you're talking about here, Alex. Please elaborate? It's software and free for personal/lab use?

I missed the "free for personal use" which is silly as I'm sure I knew that from when they launched the product.  So I ended up looking at the price and voicing my thoughts on that and how as efficient as it may be, is it really power efficient enough to replace custom ASIC hardware?  I think of all the people on the forum you're probably the only one in a position to evaluate this.  However it did completely sidetrack me from your actual question for which I apologise. 

I just can't get my head around where this product fits in a world that is supposed to be focused on reducing energy use, which generally involves bespoke silicon for heavy workloads.  But then custom silicon does potentially lead to e-waste once its no longer fast enough to be useful, whereas general purpose remain useful for far longer even if just to flog on eBay.

This page seems a lot more useful, which suggests to me that things like geoblocking, pfBlockerRG like functionality, would have to be done manually using a another box to implement using the remote management.  I guess this makes sense for an edge router, its focused on its one job of moving packets as efficiently as possible.

Oh this is interesting too: https://www.netgate.com/resources/articles-vector-packet-processing

I think I understand now where Netgate are coming from, the one reason why to use FreeBSD for pfSense was the kernel packet processing was superior to Linux.  Its a win win for them to create TSNR as they get the driver support of Linux and a vastly superior packet processing ability now with VPP.

It begs the question, why isn't OpenWRT adopting VPP?  I'd imagine this would be a game changer for using older routers which weren't capable of doing NAT at Gigabit speeds to actually be able to do so.  Not enough NAND space perhaps?  I mean surely VPP could also be an advantage for handling WiFi AP bridging?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 02:29:50 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors