Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extentsion wiring  (Read 2606 times)

dave4709

Extentsion wiring
« on: October 14, 2023, 09:55:44 PM »

Hi I have an issue but just need a little help. My house has an extension in every room this was done back in 1987. Recently I had NO dial tone on any hand set I done all the normal checks had dial tone  at master so it was my wiring which i rectified after finding it was the wire from the master to first extension from this extension i split into 2 routes (many years ago as stated) down & upstairs. After replacing that wire at this time i have all of downstairs is working fine.
i discovered that the dial tone would be on an extension box going upstairs but would only for a short time I wondered why. Before i replace is there a way to check a cable with out replacing if possible I have a multi meter. If I cant check the cable i will have run a new cable to upstairs but what puzzles me is why is the dial tone there then goes,

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Extentsion wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 09:23:22 AM »

The easiest way to check a cable with remote ends with a meter is to short two wires at one end and then check the continuity of the same two at the other end. The likely cause of you getting intermittent dial tone is a poor connection in one of the sockets as the cables themselves rarely fail unless they have been subject to lots of bending or rodent action.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

dave4709

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 04:41:07 PM »

Thank you for the help I m sure I will sort out this little problem after all i posted in here 2 years or so ago where BT had screwed up my extension wiring & wired 3 master sockets & jellied all sorts of wires before,  Now i have made my mind up to DUMP BT i am going full fibre. I am paying BT 3 times more than i will to the new provider for the same thing. I am 76 years young and of old school thinking which i thought was the right way how wrong can i be. Thanks Once again eternally grateful
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 04:43:24 PM by dave4709 »

dave4709

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 08:58:18 PM »

Hi Tubaman thank for your input I tested all my extension wiring & there is continuity in all wires & have removed 3 extensions sockets. I have 2 plug in phones in case of a power cuts others are cordless. it all boils down to a plug in phone has a dial tone but when i hang it up replace receiver it does not cut the line. As i know nothing about corded phones its off to the bin. We all live & learn

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 08:32:59 AM »

Thanks for coming back on this and glad you've resolved it. :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 10:26:36 AM »

If your extension wiring was done in 1987 it will have been using the bell wire which can/does play havoc with broadband and potentially causes other issues.
To simplify things you should disconnect that (at both ends) on every remaining cable run, so you're only using the cable pair on terminals 2 and 5. That's the pair to test also.
If you do retain any wired phones (I would as backup) and they won't ring because the bell wire is missing just plug them via a "rat-tail" style broadband filter at the socket they're using. The filter will recreate the bell signal for them. Just treat the filter as part of the lead for that phone.

anything