Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Freeview channels soon to be broadcast over the internet  (Read 3499 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Freeview channels soon to be broadcast over the internet
« on: September 21, 2023, 06:26:06 PM »

I remember talking about this many years ago, that the future will be IPTV instead of over the air transmissions. It looks like it will be starting next year, 2024.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9705-freely-is-more-than-just-another-app-for-your-tv

Freely is the name for a smart TV app in development that claims this is the first time people will be able to easily browse and watch live TV together with on-demand content.

I think it'll make our tv landscape a lot like the mass cable installations in the US.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Freeview channels soon to be broadcast over the internet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 07:59:17 PM »

I doubt the general public will ever understand the difference between IPTV and iPlayer.   
It gets me when people say wifi when they mean adsl or broadband
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 08:56:57 PM »

That’s the most common misconception  :lol:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 06:49:13 AM »

it gets me when people say wifi when they mean adsl or broadband

Oh don't kitz thats a personal pet hate of mine too..

Recently my mum got a new Samsung TV that she was able to connect to her Wifi (Why? Her: because it asked..) has they offer free addiitonal streaming based channels but they just appear as part of the EPG and is fairly seamless and unless you know where to look wouldn't realise it wasn't via DVB-T/DVB-S. If Freely is going to be in similar vain then should be fairly easy for most to understand and use.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:39:00 AM »

I doubt the general public will ever understand the difference between IPTV and iPlayer.   
It gets me when people say wifi when they mean adsl or broadband

Oh Jim Shannon of the DUP made me chuckle:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/09/security-concerns-dominate-uk-parliament-debate-on-vodafone-and-three-merger.html

Jim Shannon (DUP) said:

“One big selling point is that under the proposal, the merged company is expected to deliver 5G coverage to nearly 99% of the UK population, which is huge and important.

Constituents contact me regularly about rural network coverage—broadband signals or on the phone network. My constituency of Strangford is rural. I live in the country, so I am fully aware of the issues that some families still have with 5G connection. It can go from working in certain areas of the house to not working at all—people tell me about it every week in my constituency. That leads to consumers paying extortionate amounts for wi-fi and not getting the service that they deserve.

The comment has been made that the merger will make mobile bills less affordable. That cannot be ignored. We have already had a couple of years in which price increases have been quite significant, and have hit us all. If the merger closes the market to a number of companies, prices may go up.

For all our constituents, whether the merger will impact them or not, the issues, including price hikes, security and convenience, must be spoken about.”

an elected MP confusing wifi and 5G, bless him

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 08:59:46 AM »

One thing that concerns me is it may be a lot more difficult to skip adds. We use Mediaportal to record and watch TV, I have buttons on the remote set to skip different time periods, there is one set to 4 minutes, which is the standard advert length. It's even possible to set up software to process recordings and remove adverts automatically although I've never done that.

If using ITV Player you have to watch the adverts, which can add up to a substantial amount of time. Even with BBC iplayer it's fiddly to skip the intro.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 04:56:30 PM »

Well, they'll need to revisit this: a Freely app is already available on the Play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freely.prod&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 05:05:16 PM »

Well, they'll need to revisit this: a Freely app is already available on the Play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freely.prod&hl=en_GB&gl=US

That's unfortunate but kinda inevitable given the amount of apps.  You would think they would check that before choosing a name though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 11:11:11 AM »

One thing that concerns me is it may be a lot more difficult to skip adds. We use Mediaportal to record and watch TV,

We do a similar thing with nextpvr, although the only thing I watch from TV is MOTD, agree that the big annoyance here is that they want control over the streaming platform similar to YouTube, BT sport etc where you can't skip ads (unless in the case of YouTube you pay more)

I bet the ultimate goal is to lock in the ads and charge a premium to remove them like other platforms.

I wonder how the license fee will have to change to accommodate this for Beeb?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 02:58:40 AM »

I wonder how the license fee will have to change to accommodate this for Beeb?

I don't see how it would change given its already kinda corrupt how its handled, given it all goes to the government who then decide how much to give the BBC, which seems a conflict of interest in remaining impartial to the government in charge.  Though I don't really have a strong opinion on if this is happening or not, other than it just seems they have an odd way of doing "balanced" reporting by having bias on both sides depending on the show rather than trying to remain neutral.

Also given TV licensing say:
By buying a licence you support the creation of BBC programmes and services, and new ways of bringing them to you.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-does-your-licence-fee-pay-for-top13
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 03:03:37 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors