Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?  (Read 10890 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?
« on: September 21, 2023, 02:41:00 PM »

So I had a letter through today that VMO2 are building their fibre network in my street soon. VMO2 typically don’t have the most amazing reputation but am keen to know if anyone is on their FTTP network and can share their experiences?

Thanks!

EDIT: - Going to keep a timeline here:-

21/09/23 - Notification of works to be completed by Avonline on behalf of Virgin Media over the next month
17/10/23 - Work begins digging trench in the pavements, all houses marked up with their respective connection points...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:21:41 AM by dee.jay »
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Anyone on VMO2 FTTP?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 09:18:54 AM »

I've been on VM FTTP since April 2018, only other option is a rather slow VDSL line, or 4G although 5G might be available now.

Reliability and performance has generally been excellent.

I have had connection issues twice, and they were a complete mare to get fixed, had to resort to the forum on both occasions, telephone support were useless. Using modern mode completely throws then, they simply don't understand it. They are also obsessed with WiFi, and can't comprehend that a customer may know more than that do. So customer service/support is terrible on the phone.

Price rises are also relentless, I used to have give 30 days notice to get a decent deal, although on the odd occasion it was actually straight forward.

Now they've written the annual price rise into the contract there is no getting out of it and renegotiating, I think it's RPI plus 4% every April. So now will need to renegotiate at the end of the contract.

My IP address is very sticky, although it's different between modem mode and router mode.

If I had FTTP via OR available then I would not be with Virgin, but day to day performance of the connection is very good, and we don't get any slow downs, not even in peak times.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1d6fcf2a6171c36e1ae1f255513a45d3adad717a

« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 09:24:30 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 04:56:12 PM »

Looks like it's their XGSPON network and will get a Hub5X. Sounds great, pity there is no modem mode "yet" but I can live with that.

Now, what do I do for a backup? Considering moving AAISP to whatever the cheapest FTTC I can find is and have L2TP over the top for ingress access to the network.

That or move Starlink to the mobile variant and pause the connection and enable in an emergency? So many choices... Should look at 4G backup for home perhaps. If VM build, I should imagine it will precipitate OR and others to build to my house too - I'd be more interested in going 2 x FTTP and load balancing like I do now. It'll still be cheaper than Starlink/FTTC combo :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 10:47:37 PM »

What, no modem mode on the hub 5???

Unfortunately VM rolling out on our estate didn't encourage OR or any others to rollout. OR did surrounding areas but our estate was too hard for them.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 12:53:38 AM »

Hub5x is different to the hub5. It’s brand new for FTTP.

Modem mode coming but not quite ready.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 08:49:51 PM »

Civils works are in the next street - with "apologies from Virgin Media" - so definitely on the way.  :fingers:

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »

Not necessarily a word of warning on Nexfibre installs (I assume it is as you mention XGS-PON), more to set expectations - it might be quite some time before you can order.
They did the ground works in my area about a year ago - and only now are the first streets able to order.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 03:58:43 PM »

Hub5x is different to the hub5. It’s brand new for FTTP.

Modem mode coming but not quite ready.

That explains why when I Googled, a hub 5 had modem mode, thanks.

PS IIRC it took ages for us to be able to order - delays elsewhere.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 06:37:55 PM »

It's just as well I have Starlink for now :)

Seeing more and more OR notices on mastdatabase too. Stuff certainly seems to be happening.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »

Spotted a huge pile of traffic management barriers down my actual street, so expecting the dig to commence soon. Now I've got a date of when it's been announced will be interesting to see how long it is before I can order it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:31:52 PM by dee.jay »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 08:18:46 AM »

Good shout.

Indeed my town is listed as "build completed in next three months" - they are building all around my area so guessing it wont be long.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 08:29:56 PM »

Checked a few postcodes around where I live from the active cabinet towards my house and practically all of them come up as available. Who knows what happens in the big VM build/provisioning machine but I suspect I am days away from being able to place an order

timmy85

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 08:46:26 AM »

Checked a few postcodes around where I live from the active cabinet towards my house and practically all of them come up as available. Who knows what happens in the big VM build/provisioning machine but I suspect I am days away from being able to place an order

:fingers:

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2023, 02:31:19 PM »

Heh, all of those postcodes I identified, they are all ready because they are on poles. Clearly there must be some other piece of digging work or something outstanding because my street (the next one up the road) is still not available yet. But cabinets and such are in my street so it's not like they've built it just to leave it out, will just take a bit longer. It is what it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9