Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some Newbie advice switching to modem/router setup  (Read 3112 times)

l1ngu5

• Just arrived
Some Newbie advice switching to modem/router setup
« on: September 12, 2023, 08:24:12 AM »

Good Morning
I have been lurking and reading for a while now and decided to purchase a zyxel vmg1312-b10a with the view of changing my home setup.

I currently live in a 1930s solid brick house, and my master socket is on the 1st floor, i use a BT HH6 (Business Version) and i was looking to upgrade the range but not by adding a mesh solution

So my zyxel is due this week, are there any recommendations for a separate router that wont break the bank and will be an improvement over the HH6?

My provider is plusnet and i can only get a max down of around 40mbps, some stats below if it helps

3.38km
Classification    Market B
Virgin Media Cable    Yes enabled
BT IPStream Max    Yes enabled
BT WBC    Yes enabled (estimated speed: 5 to 10 Mbps)
Openreach FTTC    Yes enabled (estimated speed: over 40 Mbps)
Openreach FTTP    No not enabled
Openreach G.fast    No not enabled
TalkTalk LLU    Yes enabled
Sky LLU    Yes enabled

Thanks for your time :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Some Newbie advice switching to modem/router setup
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:14:31 AM »

The best way to extend the range will always be an additional Access Point/Mesh Node, wired back to the router.

Changing the router may make it worse or better, switching to separate modem and router is more to try and squeeze more out of the DSL line itself through the choice of a more optimal modem for your line, than to help WiFi range.

Sure it means you can move the router closer to where you need WiFi, but potentially at the cost of making reception worse somewhere else.  Though the further away from my AP (basically through the chimney and some hefty cinderblock) I can still usually get 50Mbit, in comparison to 850Mbit in the same room as the AP.  But that doesn't guarantee everyone or even every WiFi client would as reception varies by device.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:32:09 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

l1ngu5

• Just arrived
Re: Some Newbie advice switching to modem/router setup
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 10:51:27 AM »

Thank you for you thoughts, i'll take it on board