Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm looking for an Openreach FTTP ISP (Scotland)  (Read 3403 times)

heavyrain

I'm looking for an Openreach FTTP ISP (Scotland)
« on: September 08, 2023, 03:28:52 AM »

I'm looking to move from BT FTTC. The actual line has been pretty solid but I'm tired of the non budging on price for anything with ridiculous support.

I do a decent amount of online gaming so pings/jitter are a concern. I was relatively happy with BT FTTC so as long as I can match that I'm good. I'm from just outside Edinburgh.

One thing I can't quite get an answer for. I keep hearing talk about how bad Vodafone is. There's pages and pages of people talking about how they are getting routed to Edinburgh and it hurts their pings (mostly English). I thought to myself... should Vodafone be my pick?

I managed to get in contact with someone from Edinburgh on Vodafone and he told me his ping times. Said he's on the Leeds gateway and "1.1.1.1 were about 6-7ms, 8.8.8.8 is 13ms, bbc is 7ms".

His pings literally cut mines by over 50% (I ping bbc.co.uk in 16ms). Now I know that pings don't basically mean much especially when just 3 websites are tested but it's a pretty good indication of improving general latency?

Sky is doing 500Mbps for £35 right now which seems the winner (£80 cashback also but that's never guaranteed). However, each time I keep coming back to Aquiss. Prices are generally pretty solid and atleast then I know what I'll pay. I have no idea what Sky's £35 would turn into come April 2024.

I did briefly consider IDNet and Zen. IDNet is just abit too high at £42 for 100Mbps and I'm not sure if they also increase prices in April. Zen is slightly more reasonable at £35 but recent ispreview.co.uk have been pretty bad.

Am I overcomplicating things? Should I just order Aquiss and be done with it?

Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: I'm looking for an Openreach FTTP ISP (Scotland)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 05:11:15 AM »

All I can say was for me Zen's fttp latency was excellent at around 5.5ms. I moved to you fibre (1gb/1gb) fttp back in May and the latency is no where near it. Its more than double and is not improving at present. Latency is more important to me than speed so I will likely be returning to an openreach based service when  my contract is up.

I had  no issues with speed or the zen gea issues for the duration of my contract. Was on 900/110 product.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 03:36:20 PM »

All I can say was for me Zen's fttp latency was excellent at around 5.5ms. I moved to you fibre (1gb/1gb) fttp back in May and the latency is no where near it. Its more than double and is not improving at present. Latency is more important to me than speed so I will likely be returning to an openreach based service when  my contract is up.

I had  no issues with speed or the zen gea issues for the duration of my contract. Was on 900/110 product.
It was noteworthy to me that Zen's GEA latency was quite a bit better than their BTW latency, and was also quite a bit better than my current AAISP connection, which is also BTW.  Shame about the rest of the connection (for me!).

heavyrain

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 09:33:35 PM »

The more I look into it the more I get confused. Just seems like a minefield in choosing to a point I'd just going to do Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

"xx has this xx backhaul but xx can also take from xx which in turn makes xx slower than xx because that xx has the backhaul of xx"

You get the idea.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 10:26:31 PM »

I had Sky FTTC for 10 years and dropped it in favour of having 2 x AAISP lines. The recent news about publishing subscriber data to third parties is somewhat concerning for me, if I were choosing an ISP over Openreach FTTP I'd have to go AAISP out of following their principles.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller