Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei B535-333 not forwarding DHCP  (Read 3070 times)

cancunia

Huawei B535-333 not forwarding DHCP
« on: June 21, 2023, 08:24:08 AM »

I have a Three branded B535-333 and wanted to use it for my home broadband with Pi-Hole but it turns out that DHCP requests are somehow getting blocked / lost when using the Pi-Hole DHCP server.
I'm guessing that this is a general issue with this router not related to the Pi-Hole DHCP software but am a bit surprised if / that I'm the first person to notice this so thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has a solution?

I've made sure that the B535-333 DHCP server is turned off & when I do that, no devices get an IP address. I've tested this setup with other routers, so I know it works and is isolated to the B535-333.

There's maybe a known way to get around this, so if anyone has a solution, suggestions gratefully accepted!

I've also posted on ISP Review, just in case there's someone there with that doesn't also look on this forum. If I get a solution, I'll post it in both forums.

Thanks

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Huawei B535-333 not forwarding DHCP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 02:29:50 PM »

In my experience Huawei routers tend to not behave like typical routers.

I actually have a Honour Router 3 which in AP mode only worked connecting the WAN port to the LAN.  Models not designed to even be an AP likely keep everything completely isolated.

Although I'm unclear what configuration you are trying to achieve here.  If you are using the B535 as a router the surely it will just sit on the LAN somewhere and you'd be telling the Pihole to issue the DHCP including setting the gateway to the B353 IP.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cancunia

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 04:32:58 PM »

The idea is to use the B535 as the 3G/4G router & WiFi AP as normal but use the Pi Hole as DHCP / DNS server. It's not possible to alter the DNS settings on my version of the B535, there's a hack but it does not work. So, the only way to get devices that use DHCP to point to a different DNS is to use a different DHCP server. The Pi Hole package on the Rasp Pi has both.
The setup works fine on my ADSL line & also with an older 3G/4G Proroute router, so the issue is somewhere in the B535 firmware.
My guess is that it does not forward any DHCP broadcasts.

cancunia

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 08:25:39 AM »

Turns out that the problem lies with the B535-333 WiFi, it simply does not support a DHCP server over WiFi. I built a test Pi DHCP server and connected it to the B535 via Ethernet and all works fine. My old Linksys router will support the DHCP server over WiFi so it's just one of those things.
I'm happy to be corrected on this, so if anyone gets a DHCP server connected via WiFi working on this router, please let me know!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 09:06:44 AM »

Makes sense actually, it probably forces client isolation so broadcast traffic will be blocked coming from WiFi clients.  I never figured you'd be trying to run a Pihole over WiFi, I should have asked.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cancunia

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 09:25:28 AM »

Makes sense actually, it probably forces client isolation so broadcast traffic will be blocked coming from WiFi clients.  I never figured you'd be trying to run a Pihole over WiFi, I should have asked.

I probably should have mentioned it!
In any case, it's working fine with the old Proroute router on 3G, just as it was with the even older Linksys on my ADSL ( with BT 2700 HGV in bridge mode) before. Like you say, maybe it's a deliberate feature for WiFi client isolation on 'newer' devices, a right pain for me all the same!
The 4G signal where I live is much slower than 3G and there's no band aggregation so the Huawei router is not critical at the moment.

anything