Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP rollout Wrexham  (Read 5000 times)

Wrex

• Just arrived
FTTP rollout Wrexham
« on: April 25, 2023, 07:53:46 PM »

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

A CBT was installed on the pole I’m connected to back in January, I’ve contacted OpenReach customer service on three separate occasions and got a different answer each time as to when it would go live.

I’m just wondering if anyone can help shed some light on this?

My postcode is LL11 2UG. The there is a code written on the CBT, CBZDTAZM.

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP rollout Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 08:15:47 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. :)

I know of a certain Black Sheep who would be able to decipher that eight character, runic, inscription. It just depends as to when he has a few moments spare . . .

Look up the UPRN for your home here, then enter the UPRN into the BT Broadband Availability Checker and see what that says.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Wrex

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 08:51:53 PM »

Thanks for the swift reply burackkucat. I tried that first site but it’s ran out of searches until tomorrow, so I’ll try then.

I’ve been checking the wholesale checker for a while, I noted on another forum to watch out for the FTTPoD to change from 330 to 1000 just before go-live, but still nothing as yet.

I know around the corner from me they have had FTTP from the pole for about 18 months now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 09:52:53 PM »

I entered your postcode into Google Maps and virtually looked around via the Street View images.

I see that properties are served aerially and, interestingly, close the cul-de-sac at the curve in the road there are a couple of hollow poles. To deploy fibre aerial drops from a hollow pole requires the fitting of a "squid". I appreciate that your home will eventually be served from a wooden pole but if there is any difficulty in fitting "squids" to the hollow poles then that might be the reason for the delay. A PON will not be activated (lit) until all hardware has been installed, audited and signed off.

However that is just guess work on my part . . . and I could just be caterwauling from the top of the wooden pole, from which my aerial drop originates.  ;)

Wrex

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 11:07:01 PM »

The houses served by the hollow poles have been taken out of the build plans as of last week, luckily my property isn’t one and is served by one of the standard wooden poles which has a CBT fitted.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 05:40:56 PM »

The houses served by the hollow poles have been taken out of the build plans as of last week,

Ah, that is interesting. I wonder what was the reason for that decision. A shortage of "squids" or technicians capable of deploying them correctly? If the PON is enabled in the next few days then that would be an indicator.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »

A CBT was installed on the pole I’m connected to back in January, I’ve contacted OpenReach customer service on three separate occasions and got a different answer each time as to when it would go live.

I’m just wondering if anyone can help shed some light on this?

Thanks

Hi there.

Alas, information on your PON is limited as this is a turnkey build which means the contractor is fully responsible for the end-to-end build (with OR over-seeing).

What I can say though, is that your PON has not been commissioned as yet. I suspect the 'chap around the corner' who has FTTP is part of a PON that was built under a totally different FTTP programme ??

The vast majority of PON builds are being completed under the 'Fibre Cities' programme .... your own included. However, there are other FTTP programmes in play that are funded separately, such as 'New sites', 'Retro New Sites', 'LFFN', 'BDUK'.

I would take solace from the fact, that it seems you're within touching distance of acquiring FTTP - which is the complete opposite to my own situation  :) :). Still, my 50+ Mbps connection appears to do everything I need it to do for now, so I'll just sit on my thumbs until it does arrive  ;D.

HTH  :)

Wrex

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 06:23:17 PM »

Hi Black Sheep,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this for me.

I should really have had a word with the contractor that installed the CBTs to find out more but alas I didn’t.

At least it’s on its way I suppose, if my FTTC was a bit better and I didn’t have two gaming obsessed kids it would be easier  ;D

Hopefully it won’t be too long, I just wish I could stop myself checking to see if it’s live every day :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 11:20:56 AM »

Not to step on BS' toes  ;D but Netomnia / YouFibre are also rolling out in Wrexham, if you were looking for a symmetrical connection

Wrex

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »

I’ve already asked netomnia, not coming to my area apparently :'(

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 03:51:58 PM »

I’ve already asked netomnia, not coming to my area apparently :'(

Ah no sorry to hear that  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 05:03:34 PM »

Ah no sorry to hear that  :(

I'm not - means my toes live to fight another day.  ;D ;D

Wrex

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 06:49:43 PM »

I just hope MJ Quinn or whoever it is pull their fingers out, seems like everyone around us has great connectivity apart from us.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 08:41:17 PM »

I just hope MJ Quinn or whoever it is pull their fingers out, seems like everyone around us has great connectivity apart from us.

Hi Wrex,
Welcome to the party any update on your installation?
I live in town and have just had the go a head for FTTP, as I live in a flat, but it turned out the boxes had been ticked but the fiber not installed!
Netomnia have also done the street along with VM. But N have had issues with their contractor. So instead of the Cardiff firm they use they have switched to a Liverpool one. Makes a bit more sense.
All the best when/if you have had the install.
David.

timmy85

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 10:06:30 PM »

Could it be a Netomnia/youfibre CBT? They are rolling out in Wrexham I believe.
Pages: [1] 2