Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving a telephone line to a different L2S  (Read 2031 times)

simonhester

• Just arrived
Moving a telephone line to a different L2S
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:52:14 PM »

Hi

I'm wondering if any one has had any experience in having there telephone line moved to a new Layer 2 Switch?

A quick summary

• The current WLR3 line we had installed 01524xxxxxx goes back to PCP26 but has been installed on what is known as the Layer 2 Switch 'BAAGTH'

When we first went to order the line, we checked and the building looked to be on the Layer 2 Switch 'BAABYV'. Its a long story but the install took months as it was a none served premises and I've been told it is posisble the L2S we were targeted for back in March last year became full.

The a CP already had access to 'BAABYV' which meant they could make the connection to there LLU rack at no further cost.

The CP does not have access to any circuits that come in on 'BAAGTH' Layer 2 Switch

I was given some advice via another Openreach source that it is possible the Layer 2 Circuit ID/Switch ID  'BAABYV' likely became full since when we first place the order way back last year.

It was suggested that we try and find out if there have been any ceases or stops on the 'BAABYV' or if there is any capacity at all to squeeze our scout hut on to the 'BAABYV' link and move it off 'BAAGTH'

So just wondering if any one had ever had there circuit moved from one L2S to another and if so how did they make it happen.

Thanks in advance.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Moving a telephone line to a different L2S
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:12:46 PM »

I would have thought this would have been down to your service provider and how good their relationship with OR is to get something as precise as this done.

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »

I too, would humbly suggest this is an issue between your CP and OR. IMHO, you should be able to though  ;).

Normally, folk would be clamouring in the opposite direction, ie: to remain on BAAGTH head-end as it is an incremental Huwaei build, as opposed to the existing BAABYV head-end, which is ECI.

That said, your premises is literally spitting distance from PCP26, so the nuances that ECI bring with it wouldn't have any serious affect on your connection at all.

simonhester

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 04:01:04 PM »

Well the twist in the tale is know someone who works for the CP. Its a small CP and we went to them to ask for a free connection for our Scout group. Hence the push to try and move the cable link as reduces the cost.

It seems from the various emails I have seen we are stuck with Openreach not knowing what to do. It feels so close as we have been told what's needed but there no way for the CP to order it. Of course the L2S could just be full and we are stuck.

I think i read on another post that there i way to check the capacity of a L2S even for the CP this doe snot seem possible.

The CP are taking a final throw of the dice to see if they can sort if via Openreach.

Curious how did you find out the new cable link was on a huwaei build?

Thanks for the responses

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 06:33:24 PM »

I work for OR Simon, although not on this side of the fence.

I can only guess that the ordering process (or at least parts of it) are automated, due to the sheer amount of people that would be required, were it manually handled ?

Not sure if another contributor on here (j0hn), could shed any more light on the ordering process ?? Good luck.

simonhester

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 07:50:15 PM »

Hi Thanks for the comment i've been calling in as many favours I can. I have a local friend who works for BT and works in an office in the local exchange. He is making some enquiries for me with a few Openreach people he knows. I have also been in touch via the CP with the patch manager in a round about way.

It would seem to be as you say there is no mechanism in place to make a modify order for what I'm after. Although i imagine it is just some patching in the local green cab that outside out scout building.

What I almost need is for something to happen a bit adhoc but I'm guessing that won't be possible as any changes need to ensure the the backend systems get updated so when we come to order the FTTC or even FTTP now the circuit shows on the correct L2S

I work for OR Simon, although not on this side of the fence.

I can only guess that the ordering process (or at least parts of it) are automated, due to the sheer amount of people that would be required, were it manually handled ?

Not sure if another contributor on here (j0hn), could shed any more light on the ordering process ?? Good luck.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 10:25:29 AM »

What you want may not even be possible. Warning possibly long post.

I know how it works with GEA products (FTTC/P).

CP's need to buy GEA Cablelinks (at a cost of over £1,000) to connect the Openreach L2S to their network/backhaul.

They need to buy a GEA Cablelink for each and every L2S they wish to use.
Some L2S are FTTP only.

I've never ever heard of anyone being switched from 1 L2S to another while with a single provider.

WLR3 lines are not associated to individual L2S. They don't connect to them at all. It's the broadband circuit that runs through the L2S.

ADSL is a different ball game and I don't understand the specifics there.

What you call BAAGTH and BAABYV sound much more like OLT names than L2S names (edit: I see BlackSheep has posted confirming they are OLT names).

If it's an FTTC circuit you don't get to choose which OLT you connect to I'm afraid, most definitely not.

If you are connected to the LCLAN exchange then PCP26 does indeed have an older ECI cabinet (DSLAM) which is connected to the BAABYV (ECI) OLT.
Your PCP also has a newer Huawei cabinet which is connected to the BAAGTH (OLT).

The ECI cabinet had filled so they installed the Huawei cabinet.
The chances of you getting on the ECI cabinet are slim.

So it sounds like your provider only has access to a GEA Cablelink that connects back to the ECI OLT, which will be the older 1Gb Cablelinks (The ECI OLT's don't have 10Gb ports).
This could also be full, not just the ECI DSLAM.

It's an odd situation that the backhaul provider (who carries the traffic away from the exchange) only has access to a single 1Gb Cablelink on an older ECI OLT. Unless it's a very small local provider and it's their own Cablelink.
Most smaller providers would use BT Wholesale or Talktalk Business, both of which will have access to both OLT's.
Ask your provider who their backhaul or "carrier" / supplier is.

It won't be easy to resolve what you want, especially if the ECI cabinet is at capacity.
There is no way to check if an individual DSLAM on a cabinet has capacity. All the checkers simply check if your PCP has capacity and it assigns the appropriate DSLAM.
In your case that's the Huawei DSLAM your provider has no access to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:28:49 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

simonhester

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:57 PM »

HI J0hn

This is all very useful. The ISP is small as they only build out and unbundle based on customer need. They generally do local Goverment city WAN's hence. I'm told they have 3 cable links that connect to 3 different L2S's but sadly not the one the WLR3 link has been attached to.

I figured this all may be a bit of a long short as did the friend who works for the ISP just figured it had to be worth trying everything we could.

I suppose there is no way to have the line re-patched to a different pair that might go to the other OLT/L2S i guess like you say it seem there is no way to manually tell what is and is not free.

It may be time to give up the ISP could look at getting us a Wholesale circuit it was just so annoying to have got as far as getting the WLR installed to find it was on the wrong cable link. For various reasons it took ages to get the line in due to damaged ducts and cables.

Thanks

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »

John: just FYI most of the time the OLT and L2S are the same thing. It's a single chassis both doing PON and point to point for Cablelink and cabinet backhaul depending on the line cards and SFPs in use.

In the case of my Openreach FTTP it uses a Huawei OLT originally installed to backhaul BDUK Huawei cabinets.

I really hope Mike Kiely doesn't read that. He'll be all over it  :D
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

simonhester

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »

Thanks all for the comments.

After trying just about everything including local Openreach engineers someone knows I've come to the conclusion we can't do what we need. I imagine it was not something Openreach ever thought would be needed.

Going to look at wholesale

simonhester

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »

Bit of a last ditched chance. Someone has advised me there is a team called the migration team that deal with moving circuits like this. Could this be true? Not that they could tell me how to get hold of the team.

Thanks