Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Openreach change of strategy on breaking new ground  (Read 3996 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach change of strategy on breaking new ground
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2022, 03:57:56 PM »

I just assumed Openreach were doing the 'easy bit' too fast and the 'hard bit' wasn't catching up and that it was just to allow the catch up to happen.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2022, 06:58:46 PM »

I can tell you from the AltNet perspective our build plans are just as aggressive - just obviously we aren’t anywhere near the size of OR, yet we’re still trying to do as much as we can with what we’ve got :)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 08:59:32 PM »

Here in Wales, we have had the fit out in my street. But my flats haven't been done, we are off a side chute. OR checker says no plans. Netomnia are now in the area and it's looking the same so far, poles have been adorned with junction boxes. Even though their checker says they are coming, I am getting less hopeful! :(

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 10:41:58 PM »

Here in Wales, we have had the fit out in my street. But my flats haven't been done, we are off a side chute. OR checker says no plans. Netomnia are now in the area and it's looking the same so far, poles have been adorned with junction boxes. Even though their checker says they are coming, I am getting less hopeful! :(

If they say they are coming, that at least confirms they have at least concluded the planning for your area. I don't even have that!
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »

'Flats' are a different kettle of fish when it comes to FTTP, Dwight. At least with Opernreach, that is.

They fall under MDU (Multi Dwelling Unit), as opposed to SDU (Single Dwelling Unit) and come with their own problems, mainly wayleaves/permission to work.
However, as part of the PON build, capacity for these MDU's will be left at the closest underground junction box to the premises, or indeed in the premises basement box itself, if access is given.

Up until about 10-12 months ago, these MDU's were wholly contracted out for the remedial work to be done. But, OR now have their own in-house teams that also pick up some of that work.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2022, 01:43:06 PM »

Black Sheep do Openreach do the same as Cityfibre in that they dont look for wayleave on rented houses?  But do on any address with flat in the name?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »

Black Sheep do Openreach do the same as Cityfibre in that they dont look for wayleave on rented houses?  But do on any address with flat in the name?

Aha - you've got me there, I'm afraid Chrys ??. I'm not sure of the process post build mate, as like I say ... MDU's are majority contracted out.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 06:04:03 PM »

Openreach don't know if a property is owned or rented by whoever orders a service.
If there's no obvious wayleave required then they won't seek any additional permission forms.

Generally a wayleave is only required if a provider is installing hardware for which they may need future access, or infrastructure (including ducting) that will be used to serve others.
A drop cable tends not to need this if only serving the person who ordered, unless it's crossing someone else's property.

MDU's are treated different because there's almost always different legal responsibility/ownership than the person who ordered involved somewhere.

A single dwelling unit that can be from from the DP without crossing another property will go ahead without issue in almost all cases, regardless of the owner/tenant status.
It's cheaper to remove your CSP and drop cable if an owner/landlord complains than it is to check ownership of every property.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2022, 11:41:33 PM »

I wonder if this will speed up installation on our our estate, which is void of OR FTTP, whilst all around has it.

Our industrial estate at work now has fibre, but bizarrely our address can not get it, whilst out immediate neighbours can - something I need to look into at some point.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »

If I recall you've no duct on your estate, direct buried cable, so who knows?

Seen quite a few streets locally where Openreach have installed new duct and tobies for FTTP but presume the budget is per premises passed across a project so if the rest of the area was expensive there's no excess to do the really nasty stuff while if it rolls in within range they'll take the rough with the smooth.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2022, 05:10:42 PM »

If I recall you've no duct on your estate, direct buried cable, so who knows?

Seen quite a few streets locally where Openreach have installed new duct and tobies for FTTP but presume the budget is per premises passed across a project so if the rest of the area was expensive there's no excess to do the really nasty stuff while if it rolls in within range they'll take the rough with the smooth.

This is a can of worms, believe me. The rules around 'Full DiG' and 'Partial DiG' PON builds, has changed at least four times in the last couple of months that I know of.

With finances as they are at the minute as well ... my own personal opinion is, that ronski's residential estate won't be planned in at this time.

However, one thing I've learnt with this new UK FTTP infrastructure roll-out is, next week might see a new policy document released saying build everything !! It really is a forever changing landscape ... as the sheer size of the engineering works/costs was always going to dictate.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything