Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG3925-B10C Cellular Backup option  (Read 1445 times)

machare

Zyxel VMG3925-B10C Cellular Backup option
« on: November 14, 2022, 09:21:14 PM »

I have a Zyxel VMG3925-B10C which has a Cellular Backup option that uses  a Cellular (Mobile phone signal) USB dongle.

Has anyone managed to get this to work? Is the router likely to be fussy about the dongle or do they use a standard interface.

I would like to get this working as my VDSL service has failed due to a damaged phone line which will probably take some weeks to replace.

I have ordered a 4g dongle on ebay but it is much more complex that the last one I had as it comes with wifi and a built in router. I want the dongle to connect to my Zyxel router as then my wired internet devices will then work.

[Moderator edited to change from VMG8925 to VMG3925 within this post and also in the topic subject line.]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:49:03 PM by burakkucat »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Zyxel VMG3925-B10C Cellular Backup option
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 08:40:09 AM »

I'm a bit confused about which router you actually have - there's a VMG3925-B10C which has a 3g USB dongle capability.
If the eBay one you've bought is this type - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374335351856 - then I think they only use the USB connection for power and use a wi-fi connection for clients, whereas your router will be wanting to use the USB for data and power. 
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

machare

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes you are right it should say VMG3925-B10C.

I have since found that there is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374212347139 which is possibly what I need. Unfortunately I was not aware that there are two types of 4g USB modem dongles. :(

I really want remote access which is difficult with a mobile signal as I think only three will let you have a public IP address.

A neighbour had a fence put up and one of the posts damaged the underground phone cable. Openreach did not want to repair it because of the concrete, and so are to install a new underground line. The bad news is that I rather think the line to the cabinet will be longer. The good news is that it will make installing FTTP easier whenever that comes.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 11:22:16 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes you are right it should say VMG3925-B10C.

I have since found that there is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374212347139 which is possibly what I need. Unfortunately I was not aware that there are two types of 4g USB modem dongles. :(

That might work, but whether your Zyxel will be able to talk to the USB part you won't know until you try and configure it. Personally I think you'd be better off with a standalone 4g modem that can be connected to the Zyxel's WAN port, but I think they are somewhat more expensive than the USB versions.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 11:45:37 AM »

You may be better off with a ZTE MF286D, put it in bridge mode and connect it to the WAN ethernet port of the Zyxel.

machare

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 10:14:18 PM »

Thank you for all the replies.  When I connected the 4g USB dongle to a USB charger I could access the internet via its wifi.

If I plugged the dongle into a Windows 10 laptop, a Windows Network Connection was created using a Microsoft NDIS driver.

Alas, I never managed to get the dongle to supply an Internet connection to the Zyxel router.

Fortunately Openreach have provided me with a new copper telephone line and my Zyxel router has connected to the VDSL signal.