Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: master socket 5C question  (Read 3750 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
master socket 5C question
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:06:30 AM »

Hope someone can help. Now my copper is no longer in use our 5c socket sticks out in the hallway as all my equipment has moved to the garage in a comms cab where my fttp is now located.  The back part of the 5c is recessed in the wall and openreach wouldn't remove the copper even though I don't want it anymore.
Is there a part I can get to replace the clip on MK4 cover part so its reasonably back to flush?, with the extended part removed it's not covering up the internal gubbins...

thanks in advance - thoughts etc

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: master socket 5C question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 09:23:12 AM »

I would take the whole thing off. Carefully remove the wires connected to it, one by one and tape the ends up with insulation tape or insulate them in some other way. Push the wiring back into the recess. Fit a widely available blanking plate.

Or plaster over.

I know the wiring up to and including the master socket is OR property but in these days of copper phase out I can’t see OR being too bothered. In any event he copper to your property is still there, just not terminated with a master socket.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 10:15:32 AM »

Good idea thanks. Screwfix do 1 gang plates for under a pound so I will look into that. Copper is disconnected anyway but I will insulate what's there.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »

Most heartfelt congratulations on getting FTTP. Every one a day of joy.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 04:02:05 PM »

Keep it for good old memories of that copper DSL and ECI quality. :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 04:11:07 PM »

Keep it for good old memories of that copper DSL and ECI quality. :)

:D :D :D :yay:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 06:10:33 PM »

Old thread I know but I've just recessed my master socket as illustrated in the first post. It was on a 25mm surface mount box and protruded stupidly.
It was always a bit sensitive to "activity" nearby so I also wanted to rewire, so I actually also stripped back a bit of the incoming cable; a bit even snapped off during the process so it was obviously a bit fragile/damaged already.  :-[
I also verified the voltages and found that And B were the wrong way round - well done the last BT engineer (who replaced my drop wire).
Interestingly it's now very stable, slightly faster and totally insensitive to the vacuum cleaner etc.

Anyway, to the point. I'm planning to move to FTTC, but by initially installing a new line, which will be in a more convenient location (assuming BTOR don't get stroppy!). This copper line will then be reduced to voice only and eventually retired.
My plan for it "cosmetically" is to revert to an older-style near-flush BT master socket. I'm sure I've got one somewhere and if I need a recess it's already there.
I'll leave it like that even when it's totally decommissioned. As @Chrysalis said "for good old memories". And to confuse the younger generation.  :lol:

I'm almost tempted to revert it back to what we found when we moved here, back in the days of Post Office Telecommunications. There was a Plan "something" setup of a main phone and an extension phone connected via an old school big jack plug and socket, all rented. That got changed pretty quickly and has been through many iterations since, including at one stage (pre-DECT) lots of wired extensions.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:29:30 PM by HPsauce »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 08:17:03 PM »

A & B are purely arbitrary, its just label on the NTE, it makes absolutely zero difference which way round the incoming pair is connected.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 10:13:31 PM »

Well there's a nominal 48v (50v here) DC difference between them which has a defined polarity (being DC not AC) ......
I await comments from those more knowledgeable than me.  :graduate:

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 10:29:48 PM »

Obviously the line has a defined polarity, but it doesn't matter which polarity is connected to which terminal the circuitry of the NTE is totally symmetrical. You can await all the comments you like.

The only time polarity mattered was in the days of party lines. Subscriber A's phone rang to earth on one leg and subscriber B's phone rang to earth on the other. Calls were originated by earthing the appropriate leg via a button rather than a loop.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:34:18 PM by licquorice »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 10:37:52 PM »

It matters not which way round they are. Engineers don't even check.

A snippet from Wikipedia

This polarity is not normally important; BT does specify that the B wire is more negative than the A, though they no longer specify which of the A and B wires are connected to pins 2 and 5 of their master telephone socket,[5] although earlier standards specified that the A wire be connected to 5 and the B wire to 2.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM