Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: VM rollout at same time as OR  (Read 12465 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: VM rollout at same time as OR
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2022, 10:31:04 PM »

Unusual VM usually dig every thing up! So you are luck if they are using the poles!

They use Openreach PIA (Physical Infrastructure Access) much more now. More than likely they will use existing ducts and poles (if clear and sufficient capacity on the poles) than micro trenching it all and leaving Toby boxes at every property.

They micro trenched my street and left everyone a Toby around 3 years ago.
If Virgin did it today they would use the Openreach ducts with the only digging being connecting their cabinets to the OR ducts.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2022, 04:59:08 PM »

Virgin Media is the first one coming to the pole but OR is maybe 1 Pole away at the moment and I’d expect them to be on the pole next week.

From what I’ve seen though VM takes ages to activate so I’d expect I’d be able to order OR FTTP first.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »

I’ve heard credible reports of fights between OR and VM contractors in the local pub car park due to arguments over ducts.

OR recently unblocked the ducts near me and VM immediately put their cabling in them.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2022, 08:39:20 PM »

I noticed that the moment OR were connecting up the full fibre to the poles, VM immediately made their 1gig service available and were sending the door knockers around pushing the hard sell.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2022, 05:06:27 PM »

VM and OR have both got their kit on the poles now just waiting for one to be switched on now.  :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 02:48:17 PM »

I suspect you're in a very close area to me @S.Stephenson (WF9?)

VM have started making a big appearance this week, they are around lots of the poles and ducts through the whole area. We've been able to have FTTP for a year or so now, but interesting to see VM still wanting a slice of the pie here (and always nice to have an alternative offering).

It does look like there'll be a lot of infrastructure sharing here too - VM have done some ground works for their cabinets, but its looking like a significant quantity of house feeds will be through OR poles or ducts.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2022, 10:52:23 PM »

WF7

OR is just starting to activate FTTP so I’d assume they’d activate first.

I think basically all of WF9 will have Zzoom rolling out soon and then Netomnia soon after, I never thought this area would end up with 4 different FTTP providers.

Im not in the Zzoom plans but am in the Netomnia ones.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »

On our side of WF9, we got Openreach FTTP about a year ago (I'm still waiting for my install though) so that's already live.
Indeed, it does look like we're in the Zzoomm plans, but so far Netomnia seems to stop just after Hemsworth.

Lots of bright green scrawlings have appeared on the roadways and footpaths now, where it looks like there are duct blockages (I wonder if they weren't needed by Openreach at the time of their FTTP rollout.) A few local poles now seem to have additions at the top of them too - I wonder how long it'll be before VM actually start offering service.

I'm still finding it incredible that I've moved from the "well-connected South East" back to a "pokey" ex-mining village - and have come from mediocre 40mbps VDSL as the sole option which wasn't exactly reliable to having potentially 4 separate FTTP networks, on the fringes of 5G (which pushes 900mbps when I try it) just up the road, and a 4G network at the house which has done a better temporary job than our old dedicated landline in Bracknell.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »

I've been checking everyday the OR checkers fttpod has changed from 330 to 1000 so I'll update here when I can actually order.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2022, 05:04:39 PM »

Went live the day after the update I’ve ordered now and install date is 23rd Jan

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2022, 06:48:13 PM »

Very nice! Congrats.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2023, 05:47:52 PM »

We do a cake thing at work and I talk about fttp too much and joked that I’d get an openreach cake or a VM cake depending on who got here first.

Will the engineer run in fear if I offer them some of the cake.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »

Installed yesterday, been great.

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2023, 11:57:23 PM »

We do a cake thing at work and I talk about fttp too much and joked that I’d get an openreach cake or a VM cake depending on who got here first.

Sorry, but that's creepy.

The other thing is: why do people actually need 1GB download speeds? Is this about the fact that they're impatient and can't wait a few minutes for things to download, or is all this about the number and the higher the better?

Please enlighten me.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2023, 08:10:59 AM »

Nope, he will take the whole thing and feed it to his work mates too!

Enjoy the FTTP  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7