Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP rollout priority  (Read 1402 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
FTTP rollout priority
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:07:17 AM »

Is there a known system of choosing who gets priority installation of FTTP, who gets it soonest ?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP rollout priority
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 02:56:18 PM »

Would be nice, I would totally play the housebound disabled card.

I'm also curious if engineers are still required or will on request wear face masks?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 03:28:53 PM »

Once an area has FTTP, customers need to order it - so the install should be generally done in the order received depending on staff availability and any installation challenges..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 03:09:51 AM »

gt94sss2 - No, some misunderstanding here. I meant going back a stage ‘to have FTTP available’. I was hoping that FTTP might be made available (=orderable) in areas with the most horrible, slowest ADSL, or areas with the highest fault rate. That would be too logical though, no? - to maximise the reductions in pain as soon as possible.

How do ‘they’ decide where to make FTTP available in say Northern Scotland (R100 Lot 1, is it?)?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 10:21:53 PM »

I'm also curious if engineers are still required or will on request wear face masks?
You tell them to put one on like I did or you do not come in  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:03:41 PM »

I meant going back a stage ‘to have FTTP available’. I was hoping that FTTP might be made available (=orderable) in areas with the most horrible, slowest ADSL, or areas with the highest fault rate. That would be too logical though, no? - to maximise the reductions in pain as soon as possible.

How do ‘they’ decide where to make FTTP available in say Northern Scotland (R100 Lot 1, is it?)?

The Scottish Government decides where to install broadband after it eliminates all those areas with commercial builds in place or planned. Thats what makes it to the various R100 Lots

The closest you will get to rollout dates are those currently listed at https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/how-can-i-get-it/check-my-address/

In practice, its going to be built out from the existing Openreach network, based on the resources/information they have available to them. That will trump concentrating on slow ADSL areas or those with the highest fault rate - though its obviously in ORs wider interest to reduce faults as well.

Doing it any other way would increase the costs..

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 10:33:20 AM »

I had an OR engineer attend on a Saturday morning for a fault a few weeks ago, he wore his mask and removed his shoes at the front porch all without requesting, he even fixed the fault PDQ.  :)

And yes, I did take the time to write a glowing review on the appropriate OR engineers appraisal web site, credit where credit is due.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 05:52:19 PM »

I had an OR engineer attend on a Saturday morning for a fault a few weeks ago, he wore his mask and removed his shoes at the front porch all without requesting, he even fixed the fault PDQ.  :)

And yes, I did take the time to write a glowing review on the appropriate OR engineers appraisal web site, credit where credit is due.

This makes me a feel a little better.  Just don't want to get into an argument over mask vs no-mask as we both have conditions that make us vulnerable and it would be hugely frustrating for this to be a barrier to getting installed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

robwfs

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »

Sadly the what order and when aspect of the OR fibre rollout is kept very much confidential. Even as an Openreach Communications Provider we don't get access to that information.

As to how that fits in with the R100 rollout, again the only information we have access to is the vague timescales on scotlandsuperfast.com and I'm not sure that the R100 team will even have much more information than that based on previous funded rollouts. What you can be sure of is that they will mostly building out the easiest areas first and working outwards from there as a lot of the hardest to reach areas will need significant civils work to allow them to bring the fibre out there (it's stunning how much of the North of Scotland is direct-buried copper!). The other big factor that is going to affect the rollout is the ability to actually get boots on the ground. Having spoken to KN and their local contractors for my area, they are both acknowledging that they are going to be severely stretched in terms of both the R100 and commercial build programs going on so it's going to be curious to see how the timescales go in terms of slippage.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 06:34:24 PM »

I expect its commercially sensitive, I think there is a political aspect as Openreach have done lots of work in rural areas which without subsidy would for sure be behind cities if they done at all.

On the Openreach FTTP coverage I seen on TBB, the economically strong regions seem to have more Openreach FTTP presence.

anything