Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: AAISP Latency Spikes  (Read 6091 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: AAISP Latency Spikes
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »

Well PPP has caused some complaints in the opensource community, usually the pattern is someone complains of slow speed for the hardware, once its revealed they on PPP that gets blamed, its considered to be an inefficient, heavy on CPU, unable to be multithreaded and such.  If its heavy on consumer devices it may also be on the ISP side, hence the gains for cityfibre?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2022, 11:36:27 PM »

I'm that guy that doesn't even run BQM as I don't see the point. Wonder if I'm the only anything like regular user that doesn't have CQM or BQM?

You are not alone. A certain grumpy old black cat shares the same view and has never used BQM or CQM.

As for the excentric who started that fad . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 12:08:06 AM »

Its useful to be able to look at if you are having problems, or to confirm QoS is working.

Though I just discovered pfSense does keep records of its gateway monitoring which is interesting.

Though I wish pfSense was more clever about its monitoring as it relies on the gateway responding to ping, not all ISPs do that.  Would make more sense if it did PPP echos for PPP WANs, or monitored the quality of actual packet loss on the links themselves rather than relying on lost ping packets to detect a problem on the WAN.

I suspect its this relying on ping that is largely my problem with instability as it makes the mobile networks look less stable than perhaps they are, due to ICMP probably being low priority.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 04:04:05 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2022, 03:58:38 AM »

I agree with the earlier posters, I never ever look at CQM unless there’s a problem. I don’t obsess over it. I do look at it to see what’s been happening with traffic into/out of my LAN though, when I’m unsure about something. But I disagree with my dear friend Burakkucat, in that I do find it very useful indeed at times, I just don’t obsess about it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2022, 04:53:01 PM »

In the I run it all the time camp but dont obsess.

If I had a problem with my broadband and then had nothing monitoring it to help diagnose it would be annoying.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2022, 12:44:12 AM »

I'm sure I have no idea what you mean about obsessing over stats.  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2022, 10:34:37 AM »

Nice, what UI is that from?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »

Based on my interpretation of the Star Trek LCARS interface.

Lots of fudgery in the background with PHP scripts polling SNMP, directly from the server itself, plus pulling stats from more PHP scripts running on pfSense.

I have my server boot straight into a full-screen window in Firefox to render it and I have 10" touch-screens in two different rooms hooked up to it.  So I get a summary of the network and the server itself at a glance.

To keep things on topic, I might see if I can put WAN latency charts in that space underneath once I figure out how to extract the data from pfSense, as I do tend to login to pfSense a lot to look at that data when the mobile WANs are being glitchy.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2022, 05:11:42 PM »

Had a response from A&A:

Sorry for the delay. I suspect location here is the key. Our CQM will be more accurate because the Firebricks that monitor your connection are on the same network. If you're still seeing the latency spikes on Think BB graphs then maybe try pinging 81.187.81.187 and see if you see the same increase.

I've sent them a link to the BQM that is monitoring that IP address.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2022, 06:23:30 PM »

Will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2022, 12:14:50 PM »

Will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.
Still don’t think they are that bothered by it, despite giving them the BQM for the gateway. Do have a review date of Friday but I’m not sure if that is for the latency or whether it’s to do with the interleaving.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »

But if its not an issue, they might at least be able to explain why.  They are the only ones who can really look into the routing and see if its a real-world problem or not.

Considering BQM is also using their hardware, they may also have an idea if there is a glitch at TTB.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2022, 01:04:01 PM »

You can ask them to make sure you are on the "Speed" DLM policy.
The Standard policy only allows half the number of ES before applying interleaving.
This was spot on. On the standard policy, looking to get it changed to speed, sometime next week.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2022, 11:18:10 PM »

Well something has changed just after 9pm.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »

Thats interesting, I had the same on my graphs ;), but then after midnight it went back to normal.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything