Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do the people with FTTP keep their copper line or go entirely to FTTP?  (Read 4323 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I was wondering when it comes to changing to FTTP are people keeping the copper line or going fully to FTTP for calls?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)

Hello.
At the moment we Have our copper line with land line phone and a ADSL2 service on that and also have a separate FTTP service  ;D
I might look at VOIP if we get rid of the copper.

No Mobile Signal.  :o
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 08:41:29 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Reformed

• Reg Member

I was wondering when it comes to changing to FTTP are people keeping the copper line or going fully to FTTP for calls?

Using mobile phone: fixed line ditched as soon as I took a service that didn't require copper.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I went Digital Voice when I got FTTP so no copper here.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Had an Openreach engineer installing FTTP today for a customer advising the FTTC connection will disconnect in 24 hours.

Didn't have the heart to tell the engineer it's from a completely different communication provider.  :lol:

It must be a standard procedure to inform Joe public.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member

I won't be keeping mine - got a mobile
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions

Well I’m ported to Sippgate. No rent and very cheap calls.  :lol:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

vic0239

• Reg Member

After initially deciding to ditch the fixed line, I relented and restarted it with a new number (existing number already ported to A&A). During storm Arwen both FTTP and mobile were down, but the fixed line was still working. I've put ADSL on it as a backup service, my DrayTek 2865Vac handles the failover.
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I believe you can keep the copper for now but soon BT will force you to take Digital Voice

licquorice

• Reg Member

Not just BT, the whole PSTN will be switched off by 2025.

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Do the people with FTTP keep their copper line or go entirely to FTTP?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 12:27:07 PM »

Yes, I am aware of these changes, but after the hoo-ha when some Digital Voice areas, rural in particular, were incommunicado for several days I'm hopeful of some form of respite.  :fingers:
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »

You aren't getting one. There may be additionally hardening to mobile services and perhaps FTTP back to a generator backed up exchange but they aren't going to keep the PSTN on for 5-figure properties. No chance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 07:33:17 AM »

I will keep the copper until FTTP is live then move it to VoIP.  One less path into the house for lightening strikes makes me sleep easier at night, plus its much cheaper.

I gotta admit, it does seem they are gung-ho on dropping PSTN without any contingency for all the alternatives being less reliable.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 07:35:51 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »

I have to say, if you are elderly what are you supposed to do if you don't have a mobile phone and the power goes out?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

I have to say, if you are elderly what are you supposed to do if you don't have a mobile phone and the power goes out?

The owners of the network can't realistically be expected to leave an entire UK copper network in place, plus the System X/System Y digital switching equipment housed in the Exchange, based upon if's, but's and maybe's.

My dear old Dad never entertained a mobile phone, until we actually bought him one and he started to use it. It's simply technological advancement and there will ALWAYS be a tiny, tiny grey area that doesn't fit the narrative. A long winded way of saying 'It is what it is', I suppose ??  :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything