Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk Tracking  (Read 5957 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
TalkTalk Tracking
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:17:47 AM »

Hi all,a couple of days ago I visited the Talktalk website,just looking .Yesterday the phone rang and it was someone from TalkTalk asking me to sign up.I said no thanks,been there,done that,rubbish.But we are not rubbish now he said and you have visited our website recently  :o
How do they get my phone number from me just browsing .I was quite shocked they can do this.Any thoughts?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TalkTalk Tracking
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »

It's difficult to see how they could have got that information anywhere other than from your ISP. Your public IP address is known to any site you visit, and that will identify your ISP. But how a third party could get from there to your phone number is very odd.
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »

Unc,
just had a look at TT web site and on the broadband home page is a box to enter your phone no. or postcode to win a free iPod.
You didn't enter your no. there and forgot?
dave

During August when you check to see if you can receive FREE broadband from TalkTalk, you will be automatically be entered into a prize draw to win a iPod touch! Competition entrants will be contacted by TalkTalk to discuss your broadband requirements

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »

Dave, I might have  :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »

They cant get your details from just surfing the site..  I should imagine it was either something like Dave said.

I know a couple of years ago I was browsing the Bulldog site and I entered my phone no "too see how fast you can go"...  and despite making 100% sure that I ticked the "Do not contact me" box, it only took them a week before they rang me trying to get me to sign up.  (and tell some porkie pies).
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »

Thats twice they have contacted me and twice from BT(offering to knock a whole £2 a month off if I sign for another 12 months)  :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »

>> twice from BT(offering to knock a whole £2 a month off if I sign for another 12 months)

Ive had a few (totally unitiated) phone calls from BT, but since my phone line is with them, I guess thats where they get my no from to contact me.

One thing that really does annoy me about BT, that they have started doing recently is the "money off", but what they dont make clear (this also applies to the phone) is that it puts you on a rolling 12 month contract. 
I not much into 12 month contracts as it is... but I certainly dont like rolling 12 month contracts  >:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything