Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration  (Read 4911 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration
« on: February 17, 2022, 03:15:05 PM »

Being at the end of my 1 year Zen FTTC contract and with FTTP available in my area decided on service migration, signed up on line on 01/02/22.
Have been very happy with Zen's FTTC provision over 14 months of service, never had any occasion to seek assistance tech or otherwise, everything just worked, however, with the current BT FTTP + phone offers on 2 year contract decided the price difference was sufficient to migrate ISP.

Original date for install, 24/02/22 with external survey 15/02/22, unfortunately, these dates have remained provisional, never confirmed, the external survey date now just incrementing every day and still unconfirmed.
As per normal ISP migration procedures, left everything to the new provider, BT and made no direct contact with Zen.

Have now received a "final bill" notification from Zen indicating that BB & phone service will be terminated on 24/02/22 with billing to that date.
My understanding of any ISP service migration is that the existing service will remain in place until the new service provision is active.
Is there any reason to believe that this is different with copper to full fibre migration?
Does Zen work differently with service migration to any other ISP?

I have been in contact with BT who are blaming OR for delays and get the feeling that the original install date is very likely not to be honoured.
Obviously I don't wish to loose my BB service and even worse my very long standing land line number as a result of termination by Zen and failure to complete on time by BT!   
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 03:41:44 PM »

It sounds like Zen is just covering their requirements, you are in the middle of a gaining provider led process, and BT have advised Zen you are leaving on the 24th.

If this does not happen, you will stay with Zen until BT completes the migration, Zen is just advising this is the date we have been given.
Zen cant terminate anything as BT have placed the order to migrate your phone number to their hosted platform and install FTTP.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »

@meritez:
Thanks for the reply and reassurance, hopefully will happen that way should an installation delay by BT/OR occur.

My daughter successfully migrated from PN FTTC to BT FTTP a few weeks ago without any issues although her original target install date was met.
My sister and my son did have other issues with their respective BT to BT FTTC to FTTP migrations some months ago but service was maintained throughout so perhaps I'am over reacting.

Have and will avoid any direct connection with Zen in case this confuses the normal migration process.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

After spending some time on the phone today with BT was advised that I would need to contact Zen and request a stop of the cancellation process for BB & phone service on 14/02/22, an action which they had instigated while the fibre install date was provisional and is now not going to happen.
BT stated that they could not do this and the onus was with me to contact Zen!

Zen agreed that unless I stop the cancellation process my BB & phone service would be terminated on 24/02/22 and it was very likely that I would loose my existing land line number.
As I obviously don't wish this to happen did as Zen suggested.

While BT are admitting that I did nothing wrong with my service migration request they are sighting the complication of migrating the land line to their digital service as causing the issue along with the associated fibre installation delay.

Ironically, Zen stated that they could now match the BT FTTP + phone contract price offer, I always understood that Zen did not offer discount certainly not to existing customers!
As the BT router & phone kit has been dispatched today (at least that is still on track) I decided not to take up the Zen offer in the mean time, however, that could change! 

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »

:o

This sound like a mess  :-\

@tiffy, which provider do you want to be with?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »

:o

This sound like a mess  :-\

@tiffy, which provider do you want to be with?

Yes, certainly does and getting worse!
The open order has now disappeared from "My BT".
After having received notification of Hub & Phone dispatch today have now received notification of pending supply of "return your kit" post free packaging!

Not a good experience with BT so far, doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Fibre installation delays by OR I can live with but BT administration logistics for this order are becoming rediculous.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »

My "open order" still not visable on "my BT" desktop, looks like the Zen "stop cancellation" process has filtered back to BT and completely cancelled the original BT order as indeed Zen had warned would happen.

I thought that BT would be the best ISP to carry out the FTTC/FTTP & phone migration and were certainly offering good deals to new customers, unfortunately, in my case not working out very well!

Edit: Narrative edit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:16:30 PM by tiffy »

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »

Take the hint and stay with Zen, Tiffy.

I think BT have provided you sufficient evidence to suggest that staying with Zen is your best option, particularly if they are willing to match the BT price.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 01:30:41 PM »

Are both Zen and BT using the same OR network?

I think there needs to be some 'right to service' made legal for network providers, whether on fibre or copper.

Did you contact BT? in one of your posts you said you had been in contact with BT and they said the onus was on you to tell Zen to put a cancellation request in. I'm just wondering what would have happened if you hadn't spoken to BT.

It is pretty shocking the state of the transfer process. But I guess FTTP transfers are still a relatively new process. I just hope that as mistakes happen, like in this case, that lessons can be learned for later on.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 03:14:07 PM »

@jaydub:
Take the hint and stay with Zen, Tiffy.
Yes, just the way I'am now thinking.
Will contact BT on Monday and cancel all order proceedings, assuming they have been re-instated again!
Have little doubt that if/when BT apply a new order, as they currently say (by text message) that they plan to do, then the new provisional fibre install date will immediately be sent to Zen.
This would probably be OK if the install date materialises but should there be a delay for any reason then I have no doubt that the previous cycle would start all over again!

Plan to return the Hub & phone which are currently in transit as soon as they and the return packaging arrive.
After I'am sure that everything is settled with BT will put Zen to the test regarding matching the BT FTTP + phone pricing offer.

@Bowden:
Are both Zen and BT using the same OR network?
I believe so, they both certainly would have to go to OR to have the fibre installed.

Did you contact BT? in one of your posts you said you had been in contact with BT and they said the onus was on you to tell Zen to put a cancellation request in. I'm just wondering what would have happened if you hadn't spoken to BT.
Yes, when it became very likely that the original install date would not be honoured, and yes, they stated that they could not contact Zen directly to extend the BB & phone termination date that they had provided to Zen in the first place.
Zen stated clearly that my BB & phone service would have been terminated on the date supplied by BT had I not cancelled the termination with them, I would also have very likely irretrievably lost my long standing land line number.

It is pretty shocking the state of the transfer process. But I guess FTTP transfers are still a relatively new process.
With FTTP being widely available now and being rolled out nationally at an ever increasing rate I don't think I would consider this to be "a relatively new process" any more, certainly not to what is probably the largest ISP in the UK.
The only excuse BT have offered me is that the phone line transfer Zen to BT complicated things!

Edit: Narrative edit 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:28:21 PM by tiffy »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 07:24:30 PM »

Zen have access to cityfibre.

Does cityfibre show available on https://bidb.uk/ ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 09:00:52 PM »

Zen have access to cityfibre.

Does cityfibre show available on https://bidb.uk/ ?

He's in Northern Ireland.
Cityfibre have no presence there are all.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 07:16:21 AM »

With FTTP being widely available now and being rolled out nationally at an ever increasing rate I don't think I would consider this to be "a relatively new process" any more, certainly not to what is probably the largest ISP in the UK.
The only excuse BT have offered me is that the phone line transfer Zen to BT complicated things!

You're obviously not familiar with how long things tend to be "a relatively new process".  ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »

You're obviously not familiar with how long things tend to be "a relatively new process".

Of course I appreciate that FTTP is by no means available to all and as such could still be classed as a "relatively new process".
My reference was to the ISP implementation logistics of the service to subscribers in the many areas where FTTP is available where I certainly would not consider full fibre installation/service migration to be a "relatively new process" to most ISP's and certainly not BT.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 12:23:30 PM »

From my knowledge of two such migrations neither went well. It seems the additional complication of the voice transfer it gets in a mess. Hence my choice to get my FTTP from a new supplier and VOIP from another supplier and dump the copper based services when all is working. I’m lucky however I’m out of contact on both voice and FTTC.  Therefore able to keep everything running until I’m ready.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4