Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: G.Fast Constant Disconnections  (Read 1808 times)

Pony1982

G.Fast Constant Disconnections
« on: January 19, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »

Hi....so I had my reliable 60mbit ADSL2 line 'upgraded' to g.fast on Monday. Monday and most of Tuesday were good, with speeds of around 140/10, which works well for me. However from about 7PM last night (Tuesday), I started to see disconnections bang on every 30 minutes and overnight it's now every 20 mins. When it reconnects, everything is fine until the next disconnection 20 min later.

I spoke to the really helpful support people at AAISP earlier today and they weren't really able to find anything wrong with the line. All the checks/stats they ran seemed to suggest the line was ok, and they're going to get an engineer out to me tomorrow. The question is - do I look to roll back to the reliable ADSL2 service at 60mbit (and perhaps bond as a way for resilience and additional speed) or do I persist with g.fast.

Additional Info:
When the Engineer installed g.fast, he seemed to suggest that I might be too far from the cabinet (260m) for g.fast and he was seeing issues with sync. But then he did something on the cabinet (sounded like unplugging and replugging the cable/connetor) and everything was tickety boo until last night.

AAISP Data
BT Test E2E Access Test/DCN:Pass OR test pass. No fault found.
Down:124 (134.3/145.6/150.2) Up:9.8 (9.1/10.0/10.4)
2022-01-17T23:15:00 2M-160M Downstream, 3dB, Retransmission Low - 2M-30M Upstream, 3dB, Retransmission Low
In Sync Pass:GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000 GEA service test completed and no fault found .

Any help will be much appreciated (both in terms of recommendation for whether to stick with this and any ideas on a potential solution)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: G.Fast Constant Disconnections
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 10:32:13 AM »

Welcome @Pony1982 to Kitz forums.

Your upstream sync for g.fast is borderline, if that cannot be any faster than 10 I'd revert to VDSL asap.

Pony1982

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m getting a bit of pushback from the ISP saying that they’ve started a new contract with their provider so won’t be able to roll this back. Will have to be a fix forward type thing.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 10:53:25 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m getting a bit of pushback from the ISP saying that they’ve started a new contract with their provider so won’t be able to roll this back. Will have to be a fix forward type thing.

That's not your problem, your contract is with your ISP and the service is not up to scratch if you are being repeatedly disconnected, request a G.Fast SFI appointment.

Pony1982

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:44:47 PM »

We do have an SFI appointment tomorrow. Not sure what they will or won’t do. The line seems to be going down every 9 minutes now. Thanks for your help

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »

We do have an SFI appointment tomorrow. Not sure what they will or won’t do. The line seems to be going down every 9 minutes now. Thanks for your help

Ok, an SFI (Special Faults Investigation) will do a module check, they will start from your Master Socket in most cases and work backwards from there.

I'm guessing you have an Openreach G.Fast modem, if they believe the modem is at fault they will replace the modem.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:02 PM »

That's not the kind of response I'd expect from AAISP, but I think that's because its too early to be looking into that.

I certainly wouldn't downgrade back to ADSL though.  The fact g.FAST worked at all suggests you should get great VDSL service, just need to go through the motions trying to get g.FAST fixed first. I'd expect it to be Openreach and AAISP who decide that downgrading is the only option if it can't be sorted, unfortunately you'll have to put up with the unstable service in the meantime.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:28:56 PM »

I certainly wouldn't downgrade back to ADSL though.

I believe that the (double) mention of "ADSL" in the OP is a mistake (or typo).

. . . so I had my reliable 60mbit ADSL2 line . . .

. . . reliable ADSL2 service at 60mbit . . .

If we take the "60mbit" to be 60 Mbps then that has to imply a VDSL2 service.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 04:16:21 PM »

That's not the kind of response I'd expect from AAISP, but I think that's because its too early to be looking into that.

It is indeed too early for that.
AAISP will have just entered in to a contract with their supplier and would have to take the hit on that if they let the OP roll back without them attempting to fix the issues.

The OP was more than likely given an estimated range that the line falls within, including the low upstream.
The low upstream is expected on longer lines. It's usually below VDSL2 upstream beyond a certain distance.

If the fault can't be fixed or the line is below the contracted rate then the OP would be allowed to roll back to VDSL2 but until then the minimum term will need to apply.

I'd trust AAISP to resolve it either way but they need to go through the required steps just like any other provider.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 04:37:16 PM »

I believe that the (double) mention of "ADSL" in the OP is a mistake (or typo).

If we take the "60mbit" to be 60 Mbps then that has to imply a VDSL2 service.  :)

Oops, I misread that as 6Mbit lol.  I guess my brain saw ADSL and made up the difference.

Kinda surprised it was only 60Mbit on a g.FAST capable line, it does kinda make you think it has some issues to begin with which hopefully can be solved.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 04:58:19 PM »

Kinda surprised it was only 60Mbit on a g.FAST capable line, it does kinda make you think it has some issues to begin with which hopefully can be solved.

Yes, possibly. Or the line-length is really borderline for G.Fast and the installing engineer should have asked for advice rather than --

When the Engineer installed g.fast, he seemed to suggest that I might be too far from the cabinet (260m) for g.fast and he was seeing issues with sync. But then he did something on the cabinet (sounded like unplugging and replugging the cable/connetor) . . .

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 07:25:53 PM »

Yes, possibly. Or the line-length is really borderline for G.Fast and the installing engineer should have asked for advice rather than --

I'm sure I read somewhere that G.Fast engineers were meant to uninstall the service at install if minimum threshold was not reached?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 07:51:09 PM »

I'm sure I read somewhere that G.Fast engineers were meant to uninstall the service at install if minimum threshold was not reached?

Possibly, yes. In the back of my mind I have a thought regarding an Openreach / BT "centre of network excellence" (or something named like that) to assist technicians in those difficult cases.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 09:28:10 PM »

Welcome Pony1982, from another AA user here, who has three bonded ADSL2 lines.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 06:51:25 AM »

Considering g.fast uses frequencies above the VDSL2 range though I'd kinda expect that any line able to sync at all on g.fast should be capable of a full 80/20 on VDSL2?  Unless there's some serious interference going on.

Then for the GEA test to pass, seems quite odd.
Pages: [1] 2