Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows Vista security 'rendered useless' by researchers  (Read 2608 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Windows Vista security 'rendered useless' by researchers
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:28:43 AM »

I really don't know what to make of this, but it looks interesting. I see that one of the two researchers is from IBM, who are of course not exactly best friends with Microsoft, so perhaps the threat is being overstated.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid14_gci1324395,00.html
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Windows Vista security 'rendered useless' by researchers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »

Two security researchers have developed a new technique that essentially bypasses all of the memory protection safeguards in the Windows Vista operating system, an advance that many in the security community say will have far-reaching implications not only for Microsoft, but also on how the entire technology industry thinks about attacks.

/snip/
By taking advantage of the way that browsers, specifically Internet Explorer, handle active scripting and .NET objects, the pair have been able to load essentially whatever content they want into a location of their choice on a user's machine.

Thats pretty scary stuff

you see that Microsoft didn't think about the idea that these could be used as stepping stones for other attacks.

I'm not sure whether to say "typical"... or "surely it only takes time before someone finds some sort of  exploit".
Over to you M$ to find a patch.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:07:40 PM »

The forum posting was dated 7th Aug. Don't think M$ will have any thing sorted by Update-Tuesday 12th.
Vista users will have to keep checking manual updates on a regular basis for the time being.
dave

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 12:11:47 AM »

Yet another good case to use Linux. :)     :P
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:42 AM »

I wasn't going to mention that :)
  Eric

anything