Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which VDSL2 Router/Modem to go for? Your Advice Please  (Read 1663 times)

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
Which VDSL2 Router/Modem to go for? Your Advice Please
« on: June 25, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »

Hey Everyone

New member here so go easy on me.

Just need some advice, I currently moving from EE broadband to Uno Duo package and I in need of a VDSL2 router/modem. Currently have EE bright box 2 which I can't use with Uno once migrated. Sadly where I live I only have FTTC rather than FTTP but believe BT will be upgrading at some point to fibre to premises so will need to be future proof.

I have shortlisted to these router modems

TPLink Archer VR2100
TPLink Archer VR2800
AVM Fritzbox 7530

Ive heard good things about these above but its there any others I should consider looking at? Also heard that the chipset in the VR2100 can cause issues with BB speeds and connections? (sorry I am not too technically minded on these)

Hope you all can help.

many thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Which VDSL2 Router/Modem to go for? Your Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 03:55:50 PM »

Hey Everyone

New member here so go easy on me.

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I have shortlisted to these router modems

TPLink Archer VR2100
TPLink Archer VR2800
AVM Fritzbox 7530

As I know nothing about those CPEs, I can't help you in your decision making process . . . Perhaps other members will comment?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »

Thanks

I am inclined to go with VR2800, hopefully someone will be able to advise me shortly.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »

I'd certainly steer away from the VR2100 as it uses a Mediatek chipset which is best avoided.
The VR2800 looks to be Broadcom based and the FritzBox will be Lantiq based.
What sort of sync speeds do you see on the current EE router and do you know if you are on a Huawei or ECI cabinet?
It'd also be useful if you could post the stats from https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ for your line (remove your phone number before posting)
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 11:37:21 AM »

I'd certainly steer away from the VR2100 as it uses a Mediatek chipset which is best avoided.
The VR2800 looks to be Broadcom based and the FritzBox will be Lantiq based.
What sort of sync speeds do you see on the current EE router and do you know if you are on a Huawei or ECI cabinet?
It'd also be useful if you could post the stats from https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ for your line (remove your phone number before posting)

Yeah that's what I have read about the VR2100, seems a shame that they have put that chipset in one of their latest routers considering it gives issues on the OpenReach network. I am not sure what type of cabinet it is, is there a way of finding out or identifying which I am connected to and its location too. I know where the exchange is and the BT Wholesale Checker says I am connect to cabinet 7.

Here is my current sync speeds with the EE Router

Here is BT Wholesale Checker. Oddly it says FTTP is available but we have yet to have that in my street and doesn't appear when you put telephone number into ISP website to check what speeds you can get,

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »

If you look up your number on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm and then go to the Exchange and 'All x Fibre Cabinets' it should tell you which type you are connected to.
The fact that you are on a 6dB SNR suggests you might be ECI connected, so no G.INP  :(, but you need to check to be sure.
You also appear to be running at the lower end of the Openreach speed estimate, especially the upstream side, which isn't great.
Do you have internal phone extensions, and how are they filtered as it can make quite a difference to the performance you get?

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

If you look up your number on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm and then go to the Exchange and 'All x Fibre Cabinets' it should tell you which type you are connected to.
The fact that you are on a 6dB SNR suggests you might be ECI connected, so no G.INP  :(, but you need to check to be sure.
You also appear to be running at the lower end of the Openreach speed estimate, especially the upstream side, which isn't great.
Do you have internal phone extensions, and how are they filtered as it can make quite a difference to the performance you get?

Awesome cheers. Appears I am on a ECI cabinet, will the VR2800 be fine with that cabinet? There appears to be 14 cabinets in my exchange and only 2 of them are Huawei.

You'll have to forgive me but what is G.INP?

Yeah I have always had issues with speed, had it few times last year where it dropped below the minimum EE promised hence one reason I am moving away from them. I am still convinced there is an issue as I am at the slower end of the estimates. The setup I have is the router is upstairs and connected to extension off the master socket (installed by previous owner of the house). Unfortunately can't put router anywhere near the master socket in the porch but I did temporarily connect it to the test connection (last year when I was having speed issues) off the master socket for few days and found it made no difference to the speed.

There was another extension going into the living room but this has been disconnected so that shouldn't affect it. The bell wire has also been disconnected too to help with interference.

I am hoping with a better router and moving the Uno I will get better speeds.

When you say how are they filtered do you mean they have filters on?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »

G.INP is the retransmission technology used on Huawei cabinets allows that reduces unrecoverable errors and allows the SNR to drop to 3dB if appropriate. Openreach have never been able to get it to work consistently on ECI cabinets despite a number of trials.
A better router might get you better speeds but moving to a different ISP is unlikely to make any difference as you are still connected to the same cabinet using the same pair of copper wires.
When I asked about filters I was wondering if you were using dongle type ones or had a filtered faceplate on the master socket. The fact that you have tried the test socket and it has made no difference suggests that you don't need to do anything in that respect.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »

Here is BT Wholesale Checker. Oddly it says FTTP is available but we have yet to have that in my street . . .

That is not FTTP but FTTPoD.

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 04:04:12 PM »

G.INP is the retransmission technology used on Huawei cabinets allows that reduces unrecoverable errors and allows the SNR to drop to 3dB if appropriate. Openreach have never been able to get it to work consistently on ECI cabinets despite a number of trials.
A better router might get you better speeds but moving to a different ISP is unlikely to make any difference as you are still connected to the same cabinet using the same pair of copper wires.
When I asked about filters I was wondering if you were using dongle type ones or had a filtered faceplate on the master socket. The fact that you have tried the test socket and it has made no difference suggests that you don't need to do anything in that respect.

Thanks for explaining about G.INP. Will the TPLink VR2800 router with Broadcom chipsets be ok with this cabinet?

It is bit cheaper moving to Uno than staying with EE so that's a positive but yeah your probably right but hopefully if I do get a future issue Uno will resolve it better and quicker than EE did.

With regards to the filter yeah I am using a dongle type, should I upgrade the extension faceplate with more modern integrated filter? Having a closer look at it, the make of the faceplate is an MK one rather than BT which makes me think it could be a DIY job be previous owner and the extension cable that goes from the master socket runs outside up the wall directly into the bedroom itself above, wonder if that could cause issues? Makes me wonder even if its outside grade telephone cable.

Turnipfarmer84

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 04:05:44 PM »

That is not FTTP but FTTPoD.

Whats the difference? Is it basically if I wanted it then I pay for it out of my own pocket rather than waiting for it to be rolled out in my area? Seems odd if they can do it at the exchange then why would they not offer it to all residents. The speeds in my area compared to friends and family in the same town are poor and just wish BT would hurry up with FTTP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »

Is it basically if I wanted it then I pay for it out of my own pocket rather than waiting for it to be rolled out in my area?

Yes. You would need to submit a order. A survey would be made and a quotation would be provided. If you accept the quotation, the build process will be started. Eventually you would have a bespoke FTTP service, having paid a considerable sum of money for the privilege.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 04:22:40 PM »

The VR2800 should be fine but it's impossible to say if it will be better or worse than a Lantiq based modem (eg the Fritzbox) without trying both. Some people find Broadcom works best on their ECI cabinet and others find Lantiq works best. Sorry, but there is no definitive answer to this.
With respect to the filters, as said earlier, if you've tried running direct from the test socket with no appreciable difference in sync then I'd leave it as is.

FTTPoD (Fibre To The Premises on Demand) is as you say - if you want to pay the full cost of all the digging and running in fibres then you can have it. When (if?) Openreach install FTTP proper they will run fibres past all properties and then you'd just pay a connection fee like you would for a new phone line. Members of this forum who've had quotes for FTTPoD usually find it is tens of thousands of pounds if not more.

Looks like burakkucat beat me to it on the FTTPoD bit.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 04:38:06 PM »

Whats the difference? Is it basically if I wanted it then I pay for it out of my own pocket rather than waiting for it to be rolled out in my area? Seems odd if they can do it at the exchange then why would they not offer it to all residents. The speeds in my area compared to friends and family in the same town are poor and just wish BT would hurry up with FTTP.

With FTTPoD you pay a large sum to get OpenReach to build the FTTP network to you.
It's available to anyone connected to an FTTC cabinet (excluding MDU's).

Costs are subject to a survey. The survey cost £250+vat.
Final quotes tend to be a minimum of £8k and it takes anywhere from 6 to 18 months for them to build it to you, with a rough average around 12 months.

Seems odd if they can do it at the exchange then why would they not offer it to all residents

It's not as easy as ADSL and FTTC upgrades. They can't just install the kit at the exchange or cabinet and flick a switch to make FTTP available to everyone.
The exchange equipment that does FTTP is the same equipment that was installed in the exchange years ago for FTTC.
So FTTP is technically available in every exchange that has an FTTC cabinet.

The (rather big) reason they can't just offer it to all residents is that they need to run a fibre optic cable from the exchange to each and every property. It's a huge cost and a huge logistical challenge to do this.
It's why it is made available on a property by property basis and can't just be made available to everyone.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 05:34:08 PM »

@Turnipfarmer84:

Further to the comments on FTTPoD, attached an example of what should appear on the BTw checker for your tele. number when "normal" FTTP becomes available at your address, you will very likely observe local activity before this point as the fibre infrastructure installation takes place.
Your details on the BTw checker will vary but the important line is:
"FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered"
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub
Pages: [1] 2