Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does wi-fi channel frequency matter  (Read 1076 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Does wi-fi channel frequency matter
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »

Recently got a Netgear AX120 and am looking to max out the wifi speed as it has a 5GB port and my NAS and switching gear is all 10GB.

I've had the best results on the dfs channels because when you run it in 160 mode even 1 other AP can interfere but I'v been wondering if any of this is due to the channel i'm using 112 vs default 36, as the frequency is higher.

Transfer over network is at 145MB/s on channel 112 on channel 36 I'm seeing 80-100MB/s.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Does wi-fi channel frequency matter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 05:58:22 PM »

It could be due to the difference in wavelength, but it’s more likely to be due to interference or lack of it. Got any neighbours?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »

Some devices may not work on the higher channel numbers (my Samsung TV is an example example), but if you're not experiencing such issues I don't believe there is any reason not to use them.
 :) 
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 06:59:13 PM »

Recently got a Netgear AX120 and am looking to max out the wifi speed as it has a 5GB port and my NAS and switching gear is all 10GB.

I've had the best results on the dfs channels because when you run it in 160 mode even 1 other AP can interfere but I'v been wondering if any of this is due to the channel i'm using 112 vs default 36, as the frequency is higher.

Transfer over network is at 145MB/s on channel 112 on channel 36 I'm seeing 80-100MB/s.

It will be interference, as I had higher speeds on 36 before everyone and their grandmother started getting 5Ghz.

As mentioned, most default to 36 for compatibility so you often get those higher frequencies to yourself.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:44 PM »

Seems like I have a few people in the lower channels that causes the interference WiFi.

I’ve gone down to band 40 ~(110-139MB/s) because the DFS means if I reboot the router the 5Ghz access point doesn’t come back up for 10 minutes while it scans for fighter aircraft or something.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »

For me 6Ghz can't come soon enough, although how frustrating its going to be to fit 6Ghz antennas into an existing laptop I'm not so sure.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »

Wouldn’t it just be a case of swapping the WiFi modules out and connecting the existing ones can’t imagine they’ll be that different.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »

Maybe. https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Molex/146220-0200?qs=eKig3M7YXu9WcEjWZ9nbKA==&vip=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8KdwP6z6QIVBofVCh3mhAiDEAQYAiABEgLGBfD_BwE

I'm not sure if its common for antennas to have really wide frequency ranges.  I know on the routers themselves they are specifically designed for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

I seem to recall there was some mention of the higher channels on 5Ghz often being poorer as the antennas are often not optimised for that end of the spectrum.  But again, maybe that was only related to routers/Access Points rather than the tiny things in laptops that have little space for reception for begin with.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:47:50 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:34:42 PM »

Hi

The other issue with higher channels on DFS is you can also suddenly lose connectivity at random if the access point thinks it has seen or needs to scan again for radar.  Had this happen a couple of times, the logs say it has detected possible radar and there is delay whilst it rescans and all clients of 5GHz lose connection whilst it scans.

Regards

Phil

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »

Yes, radar detection is super buggy on a lot of APs.  It seems pretty stable on the nanoHD (apparently at launch it didn't even support DFS) but on my previous OpenWRT APs it would often revert back to channel 36 and need to be forced back to a DFS channel.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »

I had a problem with a huge initial time period when the AP simply seemed to be ignoring one of the assigned channels. That turned out to be because the channel was in the DFS range and even though there’s obviously nothing round here that will be detected, it seems the device waits for ever for an initial all-clear, which is I suppose understandable. But it makes it unusable on those frequencies, so I stuck with the lower ones once I found out what the problem was. I wish I could just disable DFS and that’s and end to it, but I’m sure that ZyXEL would be worried about getting into trouble. One fix might be geolocation and access to a map with a whitelist/blacklist but then that all gets incredibly expensive and complicated and the WAP would have to download the map from the internet, or else query some server, which implies having internet access. And would have to have internal geolocation hardware too. Might be worth it to really fix the problem though as an added high-end feature.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:04:44 PM by Weaver »