Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: upgrade suggestions  (Read 2688 times)

neil

• Reg Member
upgrade suggestions
« on: April 21, 2020, 12:55:32 PM »

I have a tplink archer c7 ac1750 router v1 and it is more than 5 years old. What you guys think should i upgrade it or not?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: upgrade suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »

No. To take advantage of fancy newer technologies and new protocols for the most part you have to have wireless devices that speak xxx new protocol. There are exceptions to this though; beamforming is one such unless I’m much mistaken.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:25:40 AM »

Depends, I found the C7 rather underpowered for its WiFi capabilities, it fell WELL short of what speed you should get on 802.11ac.  My speed about doubled (WiFi to LAN) when I switched to the nanoHD and was far more consistent.

I do agree though, if its working okay I don't think its a good time to upgrade.  Wait until final specification WiFi 6 kit comes out, or better still, WiFi 6e.  Although personally, I'd always advise to use a separate router and WiFi Access Point anyway, for optimal positioning and performance.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »

ok thank you for full coverage i already have 2 routers working as slaves for full wifi coverage.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »

Depends, I found the C7 rather underpowered for its WiFi capabilities, it fell WELL short of what speed you should get on 802.11ac.  My speed about doubled (WiFi to LAN) when I switched to the nanoHD and was far more consistent.

I do agree though, if its working okay I don't think its a good time to upgrade.  Wait until final specification WiFi 6 kit comes out, or better still, WiFi 6e.  Although personally, I'd always advise to use a separate router and WiFi Access Point anyway, for optimal positioning and performance.
i saw tplink new ax line and i thought i may buy ax1200 or ax1800 but so far not available in my country
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax20/ quadcore cpu
and good pcb maybe with heat sink too
ax3000 has heat sink in the photos but not sure about ax1800
https://fccid.io/TE7AX20/Internal-Photos/18-Internal-Photos-4506159
https://fccid.io/TE7AX50/Internal-Photos/1905TW0114-UE-Internal-Photo-4295248
VDSL FTTC 35/18

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »

If you're not too bothered about 802.11ax, then I highly recommend upgrading to the TP Link Archer C3150 v2. Performance-wise (wifi) its up there with the very best 802.11ac routers such as Asus RT-AC86U and Netgear R7800 but with a lower price tag.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c3150-v2/

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 10:54:14 PM »

If you looking for ax router Asus got few in offer. I use asus RT-AX88U (quad core cpu, and 1Gb ram) , and is brilliant, very good WiFi signal and throughput. After latest fw update is absolutely flying (there was issues with WiFi driver in previous fw) , alternative you can use Merlin fw on it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:08:01 PM »

I still think its ill advised to touch WiFi 6 kit until the final specification is out.  All the current kit is "draft" and no guarantees its 100% compatible with the final version.

You don't really have a higher chance of hitting say 700Mbit on AX than on AC, its all about good hardware vs bad and local interference.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 12:01:32 AM »

I can't really complain, transferring files wireless between pc and cloud connected to router up to 80MB/s. I working from home now (I guess like most of us) , I use pc, wife use laptop, we booth connected to company vpn, in same time kids playing online and watching YouTube, plus we have video conferences in the mean time, all phones and different devices connected (about 18), not even single drop on connection, this is what I need in these days  ;)
I use ax router as kids (also I do in free time) play online games so with good link between pc-router(up to 2.4Gb/s) I don't hear complains about high ping etc(only one smart tv and cloud connected to lan ports on router all other devices wireless). Router easily cope with my household needs amd that's why I bought it.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »

No. To take advantage of fancy newer technologies and new protocols for the most part you have to have wireless devices that speak xxx new protocol. There are exceptions to this though; beamforming is one such unless I’m much mistaken.

If the last available firmware was not nearly 5 years old and TP-Link had not released 5 revisions of the hardware, I would agree with you.

@neil what are you using as slaves, which particular models?

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »

I still think its ill advised to touch WiFi 6 kit until the final specification is out.  All the current kit is "draft" and no guarantees its 100% compatible with the final version.

You don't really have a higher chance of hitting say 700Mbit on AX than on AC, its all about good hardware vs bad and local interference.
and when the final version is coming out?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

busterboy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:08:41 PM »

If you looking for ax router Asus got few in offer. I use asus RT-AX88U (quad core cpu, and 1Gb ram) , and is brilliant, very good WiFi signal and throughput. After latest fw update is absolutely flying (there was issues with WiFi driver in previous fw) , alternative you can use Merlin fw on it.

Can I ask which is the latest firmware you have your RT-AX88U.

I have seen RT-AX88U_3.0.0.4_384_8018-g9e11eb3-cferom_ubi.w

Would this be the latest you have installed.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »

Can I ask which is the latest firmware you have your RT-AX88U.

I have seen RT-AX88U_3.0.0.4_384_8018-g9e11eb3-cferom_ubi.w

Would this be the latest you have installed.
Hi, yest it's 3.0.0.4.384.8018. I used Merlin 384.13 which was very stable but when I tried later versions I always have strange issues with WiFi, when I see this on asus website I just dirty upgrade from Merlin and all nice and smooth, no issues at all.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 02:19:55 AM »

At the end of the day, there's so much luck with WiFi.  One day I'll be getting 700Mbit solid off the nanoHD, another day I'll get half that.

I'm really looking forward to WiFi 6e because I mostly use WiFi in the same room as the AP so a frequency that inherently wont leak outside the house should finally mean consistently good speeds due to a lack of crosstalk from the neighbours.  Sadly I will have a few years wait and the prospect to hacking a new antenna into my laptops to support it is rather daunting.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 03:20:39 PM »

instead of buying new router i am thinking to buy raspberry pi 4 and buy 8port sg108e tplink switch and use archer c7 just simply for wifi dont have any devices which require wifi 6 so better stick with archer c7 for now what you guys think? much better compared to standalone 4 port router?
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: [1] 2

anything