Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caught out  (Read 2903 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Caught out
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »

Why does it always happen when your not looking. My VDSL line started with severe errors at about 6:15 this evening from a normal ES of 50/hr it jumped to over 500 with CRC in the region of 3000. It’s still at that rate, but by the time I noticed,  it was welnpassed the Fast Path rate so saw little reason to shut down the line. So tomorrow I’m expecting to be interleaved and being on an ECI. Cab it might be moths before, if ever I go back to fast path. With a sync rate of only 20mbs the reduction is noticeable. I did do a quite line test when I noticed, but it was silent. I guess someone in the area has some poor electrical equipment running.

Not a new occurrence but usually I get the DSL stats warning and turn of the modem for a couple of hours. Holiday season and out with family without phone.

Just a moan about our outdated provision of broadband. I have a ADSL2 line as well but little errors on that.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Caught out
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 07:34:29 AM »

Apart from dropping back to normal around 0300 for a couple of hours, now  CRC's are back around 100/min and ES 26/min. I guess nothing can be done. Looks like the DLM hasn't action so far, could this be a wider event ?

Line is still quite and still syncing at normal speed . Thru put seems normal also

Tony

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »

Actually appreciate some advice. I did restart DSL stats about 7:30 just in case something was stuck. I’ve turned on uploading for a few minutes so the stats can be seen at www.west-Lodge.com/vdsl/index.htm.

Should I just let it run until DLM apples interleaving ? Or unplug for some time ?

Advise appreciated.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »

Have you tried a different modem to ensure it's not that at fault? Last time I had those sorts of errors it was when my Netgear D6220 decided to go bad.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »

Thanks @tubaman. Just swapped it out with an identical HG612 and no change at all.

Tony

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »

Now running at 1 ES per second which I guess Is the max DSL stats or telnet can show. Surprised no dip in SNRM or sync rate. Perplexing  >:(

nfxcr3w

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »

Have you tried a different VDSL cable either a cat 5e twisted pair or the one I'm using High Speed RJ11 DSL Cable 0.5m from Tandy. Using high grade ADSL Nation Pro+ Just to rule out any issues with the cabling.
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

Now running at 1 ES per second which I guess Is the max DSL stats or telnet can show.

It's the highest value which can possibly exist. A higher value would mean that there were more seconds containing errors than there were total seconds.
  Eric

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »

Yes just tried an alternate cable. @roseway thanks that’s what I thought / meant. Looking over the last 12 hours it’s steady climbed up to as you say the maximum. Nothing in this house, and the fact it returned to normal for a few hours in the middle of the night I guess it must be external. No doubt the DLM will do something tonight. As I’m on ECI it can only apply interleave or cap ?

Tony

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »

Thanks @tubaman. Just swapped it out with an identical HG612 and no change at all.

Tony

Did you swap out the PSU too? I know it can be tempting to use the same one if its the same device but you want to eliminate that as a potential fault too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »

No I didn’t ! But I will and report back. Thanks.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »

Seems to me like if you are getting 1 ES every second, yet not enough errors in total to reduce SNRM enough to disconnect the line, a possibility is that you might be getting repeated very short bursts of interference at about 1 second intervals.

Taking a wild guess, one thing that I think might fit that pattern would be farmers’ electric fences.   Is that a possible cause, where you live?

Even if not electric fences, maybe still worth wandering around with an AM radio.  A pattern of ‘clicks’ at about one second intervals might prove my theory, then it’d be a case of figuring out what’s causing them.

Just a thought. :)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »

7lm thanks for the suggestion. I’m not in a rural area so unlikely, and when I returned home this evening ES are back to their normal level. So whatever has now gone, but I will get penalised by the DLM tomorrow. Such is the nature of our service I think.

Happy new year to all Tony

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »

My advise would be to power down the modem overnight and let the DSLAM port rest.

Reconnect in the morning and see if the ES are still there.

At 1 ES every second I would expect considerable packet loss and for it to be very much affecting your service.

Contact your ISP if nothing changes as that should be a clear cut fault. Could simply be a faulty line card port.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 09:51:09 AM »

@J0hon   Thanks but the DLM put me on interleave at 0300. Lost 10% sync but zero errors now. Yes I was getting packet loss and reported to ISP.  They couldn’t see anything and line test was clear. I guess I should wait and sete if fastpath ever returns, or would you still rest the port ?

Tony
Pages: [1] 2