Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router stats  (Read 1927 times)

Jayb9998

Router stats
« on: October 27, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »

Hi I have ultrafast fibre 80/20 and my guaranteed minimum is 52.2mb my speeds are below that just can you see anything in my stats what would cause that

Jayb9998

Re: Router stats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »

Router stats

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »

Welcome Jay ....

Small point in terminology, you are on 'Superfast' not 'Ultrafast' Broadband .... there is a difference.  :)

Regarding stats, there's hardly anything to go on there and the difference is negligible I'm afraid. Maybe one of the other members may be able to guide you through acquiring your full router stats ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 04:55:06 PM »

Unfortunately there is insufficient linestat data provided by your modem to be able to give us much information.

Your connection speed is variable and the SNRm is 6.3dB so it's not capped by DLM.   If it's a new line then it's likely to have INP3 Error protection ( & Interleaving) applied which could be taking some of your speed for overheads.   If DLM deems your line stable, then it may remove the error protection which could give you a few more Mb.

52Mbps does seem a wee bit on the low side for a ~450m line
D1 (8.4dB), D2(21.6), D3(35.3dB)

Your upstream atten is lower than mine so I'm assuming that whilst you may be relatively close to the cab.... but the cab isn't close to the exchange as there appears to be some heavier spectral shaping going on.    There is nothing you can do about that it'd there to protect against cross-talk and not affecting you getting the full 20Mbps upstream anyhow.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »

Small point in terminology, you are on 'Superfast' not 'Ultrafast' Broadband .... there is a difference.  :)

Good spot,  I hadn't even noticed as I totally ignore the Superfast/Ultrafast and prefer to use the correct terminology.   
Just goes to show how SP dumbing down actually just makes it more confusing it is for the consumer.   Especially when you had VM using "Super Duper Fast Broadband" to describe 2Mbps HFC 12 years ago :D   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Jayb9998

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 05:35:07 PM »

I've just done a broadband health check on sky and it says error you could be getting more speed and it let me book an openreach engineer for free also you say 450m I know it is 320m as the last openreach guy had a machine to test so the fact your saying 450m could that be a fault?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »

Are you in the test socket of your master socket ... ie: are all other sockets in your premises disconnected, if you have any ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

Good spot,  I hadn't even noticed as I totally ignore the Superfast/Ultrafast and prefer to use the correct terminology.   
Just goes to show how SP dumbing down actually just makes it more confusing it is for the consumer.   Especially when you had VM using "Super Duper Fast Broadband" to describe 2Mbps HFC 12 years ago :D   

Ha ha, honestly ?? I never knew that, but I do like their strap-line .... anything that says 'Super duper' in it, I will blindly buy !!  ;D

Jayb9998

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 05:50:47 PM »

Are you in the test socket of your master socket ... ie: are all other sockets in your premises disconnected, if you have any ??
I've got one of these sockets I would try the test socket but dont know if it will mess with dlm if I'm in first 10 days

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 08:21:35 PM »

No .... no need to, that is (or what should be), the master socket with a central splitter fitted.

I would take your ISP's suggestion up of a free OR engineering visit, at this point.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »

you say 450m I know it is 320m as the last openreach guy had a machine to test so the fact your saying 450m could that be a fault?

Just an estimate (400/450m) based upon your attenuation.  Your modem provides _very_ little stat information, so it was about all I had to go off as there are none of the details stats which may help make a better judgement.  It also depends upon the copper between the cab and your home.   There are different gauge copper and there may be aluminium on the line which has the effect of attenuating the line further. 

If the line really is 320m (and without ali) then your line is definitely under performing. :/     
-----

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »

For reference, my two lines are ~600m and I get better than 52Mb.... (67/60 at the time of writing. Not quite sure what is up with my AAISP line, suddenly dropped a chunk over the weekend)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller