Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Do i or dont i?????  (Read 14163 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Do i or dont i?????
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »

WRT the drop and rise back again, I dont know Im afraid :/ 
As mentioned on occasion Ive seen the same thing here and assumed it was the router, but in saying that it was over a period of days rather than hours.

Ezzer did an explanation here which may help
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=2397.msg71968#msg71968

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tarka

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

Thanks Kitz. Too much info in a noobz head can be very confusing.It definately pays to backtrack and read everything again from time to time, lol.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »

nps :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tarka

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:30 PM »

Hi all. After a run of bad luck i have replaced the bios chip in my pc and all is good  ;) I was sitting infront of the PC last night (1.30am) when i noticed my ADSL light on the router go out for  2 seconds. Surely not i thought?????? I checked the status page on the router and yup, ADSLmax had just been enabled. YEEEHHHAAA!!!!
So, the all important info...............

DSL Status: Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: MultiMode
DSL Path Mode: Interleaved
Downstream Rate: 2976 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Downstream Margin: 6 db
Upstream Margin: 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 60 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 15.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

Last night SNR constantly fluctuated between 0db and 6db but the connection was stable none the less. Today it has sat at 6db all day long. The fastest download speed i have managed so far was from microsft at 272kbs. And as far as i know i havent lost connection once yet. Am i lucky to be getting these speeds? or are they expected given all the figures? One thing i know for sure is that its heaven after a fixed 512kb connection  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

With 60 dB attenuation that's a pretty fair result.

>> The fastest download speed i have managed so far was from microsft at 272kbs

Are you sure that wasn't actually 272 kBps (i.e. kilobytes per second)? If it really was kilobits per second, then you will probably have to wait a day or two for your IP profile to catch up.
  Eric

Drefsab

• ISP Rep
  • Zen - Tech Support
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:32 PM »

Glad to hear things are going well, looking at the line that fluctuation is a little worrying, it certinaly hasnt been enough to make your line drop but then we will need to monitor the line to see how it behaves. Its certainly getting slightly better speeds than I expected but then I do try to give cautious estimates so not to set false expectations.

You will be pleased to know that the high resistance fault I was seeing (even after you rewired your line) is no longer showing.
Aaron Eldridge
ZeN - Technical Support
-------------------------IMPORTANT---------------------
The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Zen Internet

tarka

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 12:40:27 AM »

Hmmm, i dont understand. Today i have been downloading faster than ever, 2970kbps with sync of 2976. So far the connection has been rock solid. But now my sync has dropped to 2272kbps. Why could this be? And can i expect for it to do it again?

tarka

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 12:15:56 AM »

Hi all, hope im not getting on your nerves with this but... Here are my lates router stats....

DSL Modulation Mode: G.dmt
Downstream Rate: 2176 kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 14 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 59 db

As you can see, sync is now alot lower, infact it was 1950 yesterday. Attenuation 59db and has been for a few days. For the last few day it has been very windy again and my SNR has been all over the place. Just a moment ago it refreshed from 12db to 4db then to 7db. Is this the reason the exchange is lowering my sync all the time? And if so, and i managed to get the problem fixed would the exchange automatically then put my sync back up to where it started,even though the 10 day period would be up?
Just to add, the connection has been rock solid throughout but i have had to switch the router off quite a few times and also rebooted a few times to save changed settings. Also i am on day 5 of the 10 day period.
Thanks again guys.

tarka

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »

There is a pattern emerging here..........

DSL Modulation Mode: G.dmt
Downstream Rate: 1728 kbps
Downstream Margin: 15 db
Upstream Margin: 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 60 db

The SNR is increasing by 3db. So i would imagine the exchange has set my SNR to 15db for stability, right? Thus lowering my sync. Is this to combat the way it fluctuates?
And if i could make the SNR stable, how would i get BT to unblock it? Retrigger the 10 day period perhaps? Last question, why is my up and down transmit power 0?
Thanks guys

tarka

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 01:31:06 AM »

Hi all, i dont want to sound rude but, anybody there? :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18:36 AM »

Holiday time I'm afraid, sorry.

If your noise margin is bouncing about a lot it's difficult to make any firm conclusions. The speed you connect at will depend on noise conditions at the time of making the connection, and the noise margin you see in the stats may be higher or lower, depending on conditions at that time.

Clearly your line is still quite noisy, which could mean that there's still a fault, but equally could be due to high levels of interference. If you could get routerstats to play with your router, it would be very helpful to see how the noise margin varies over time.
  Eric

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »

Hi all, i dont want to sound rude but, anybody there? :)

Tarka,
You didn't sound rude, more like ruddy impatient.
You posted at 8-40pm on a weekday evening and then come back five hours later, at 1am, expecting an answer. Please remember that ALL contributers on these forums do so in their spare time and for FREE.
We do allow members to have a night out and then they are probably not willing to fire up a computer at midnight and start sorting out other peoples problems.
If you looked at the bottom of the home page, you will see who is online at the time. If there are only guests then you will not get a reply as they cannot post. also, not all members have a working knowledge of ADSL, so they would not attempt to answer your question.

dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »

Tarka,remember this is a broadband forum,not an isp helpline,have patience.The guys on here will help but please allow time,as roseway has already said, some members are away this time of the year.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:55:12 PM by UncleUB »

tarka

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »

My apologies. I didnt mean to sound impatient or rude and fully apreciate all of the free help given here. It has been invaluable! But you might notice that kitz did ask to be kept informed and that i havent had any replies to the last 3 posts over 7 days, given that i think im pretty patient really.
Like i said, all i can do is praize you guys for the time and effort you give to helping others, especially Drefsab who has who has gone out of his way to help me many times now. A top bloke indeed.

tarka

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

Many thanks roseway, i have just downloaded Routerstats and it looks very good. Although i have no idea how it wotks yet so im going to have a little read now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything