Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weekend Chat  (Read 5539 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Weekend Chat
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:45:38 AM »

Morning all,

I'm glad to be back, thanks Uncy for doing the honours, though you can do it anytime I'm not around, I don't mean to take over  ;D

I got the pooter back late yesterday so this morning getting the feel of what's new...they installed the new IE...looks ok at moment, also put 1 Gig or RAM on, did a diagnostic check and said hardware all ok (they did wonder with the pooter being 4 yrs old...sigh).  Also put on paid version of AVG8.0, now I've got to find out how to work it, do scans manually etc etc..... no doubt I'll be asking questions later ha ha.
At least everything is running much quicker....hope it stays that way.  I asked how much they charge to build a PC, he said with 2 gig RAM  180 hd and can't recall the processor... said about £399 which I thought was good. Anyway, glad to be here again, don't know what I'd do without me pooter <shudder>.

Hope you all have a lovely day whatever you've got planned... won't be long til your 'oliday Uncy.. hope the weather stays good for you.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Weekend Chat
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »

Welcome back. Glad the 'pooooooter' is back and running again.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »

Mornin all,you're rocking now Chrissie.     :clap:    Don't know what to do now I've been sacked,I know I'll go on holiday  :D
Have a great day whatever you're doing. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »

Morning all.
Welcome back, chrissie, glad to see the machine is behaving itself again.  :clap:

Grey and breezie again, but mild and dry.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »

Over cast here in Norfolk, but it's warm and bright.

Working today, and in a slightly different patch, just logged on and that annoying update thingy has just invaded my laptop mid test  >:(, Glad someone has a pooter thats behaving Chrissie :)

Uh oh it's now doing a BIG update thingy........Sigh

At least the views nice here

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »

WB chrissie - glad that things on the PC seem to be much better.

£400 doesnt seem too bad for a new PC - but it does depend upon the specs. 
Also worth keep an eye open for things like the ALDI specials that they do..  sometimes they may be a little bit more expensive than £400 but they are usually very high spec machines for the money.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »

There's a nice entry level Dell PC here,Intel core uo 2.4 processor,2GB ram and 250 HD and 19" monitor £399.Subtract £105 if you do't need a monitor = £294

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=DRS53002&l=en&oc=D075029&rbc=D075029&s=dhs
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:11:17 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »

There's a nice entry level Dell PC here,Intel core uo 2.4 processor,2GB ram and 250 HD and 19" monitor £399.Subtract £105 if you do't need a monitor = £294

Not bad at all for an entry product which includes everything you need.
Although if it was me I'd probably be tempted to include a few extras
Such as only an extra £10 for the larger drive.. and a separate graphics card..  and another dvd drive...
... but then that starts the upgrade process where you can go on and on :D

I'm aware that some people dont like the Dell machines, but I also know people that have/had them and they are fine and more than happy with them.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »

@ Kitz,had Dell computers since Windows 95,big  :thumbs: up from me.But as you say people have problems no matter what brand/model.I like the customobility with Dell.You can tailor one to your exact needs(well almost).The one I have now had a hard drive problem when I first purchased in March 2007.They sent me a complete new tower unit minus the monitor obviously......but I had a Logitech cordless k/b and mouse and an 8 socket Belkin surge protector on my original order.They sent me a dell branded k/b and mouse and also another surge protector  :) Oh and another set of installation discs. :)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

When I got mine delivered i had some the software and some vital leads missing, phoned up and they set them straight away.

Got back home to find a couriers card through the door "As you wern't in the box has been left in the green box by the door"

"What the green recycling box/bin ?

The one with "norfolk county council recycling bin, only paper and glass." written on the side.

The box with some old paper and glass jars inside out for collection on, let me see, oh yes today !  :o

Phoned up again

"oh no they didn't, weel sorry I'll get another box sent"

Guess what, card through the door on a wednesday, and guess what it said.

week later

oh yes, again. third time (mus have something about delivering on weds ?)

eventualy they used parcel force, you couldn't make it up could you

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »

Actually there's a ps to that last post.

You used to be able to get a bt engineer to install you pc (pc purchased through a now defunked gov' incentive via work scheeme)

The engineer (within the group which covered this, and so has the key for the locker) would pick up all the bits from a special locker and arrive on site, any problems , no access, any one thing missing, the whole lot would go back in that locker.

My pc was actualy delivered via one on those lockers, how do i know, when I had a job to fit a load of routers and hubs in a new store I went to said locker to see my stuff with my address on it in the locker as I have said key. If only they used this method again instead of the courier, funny old world

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »

Sunday morning, hi everyone, sun is shining at the mo so maybe it will last today though not too hot I hope  :)  Ezzer I'd be tearing my hair out at the antics of your courier firm... jeez how stoopid can some people get!! 

So far so good with the Pc here... not used to AVG though, it just turned my firewall off <scream> and it kept on about updating things which I'd already done...hmmm... I know I have to get used to summat new but gawd, I didn't know this was as complicated as it seems... or it is just me  ;D

Have a good day one and all.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »

Morning all.

Very pleasant morning, sunny and warm.

TD is off on his hike, about three miles up over the hill to the loch where.........there is a pair of ospreys  :)
Will try for some pics.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Weekends is the time I build my new patio, I have a barrow load of mortar (covered up) out in the poring rain waiting to be used.
Started to build some steps and got the first york stone tread on and down it came, had lunch and still raining heavy  >:(.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »

So you're the culprit to blame for all the bad weather. Stop it at once.
Been dull and gray here, had a heavy shower, in trouble with cat again, but now its bright, sunny and breezy, but too wet to cut grass, well thats my excuse anyway.
Pages: [1] 2