Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Buying shares in a future Openreach  (Read 677 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Buying shares in a future Openreach
« on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:54 PM »

If it were to become possible for other entities to buy shares in a devolved Openreach then I think it would be healthy to encourage all known telcos to buy shares in it so that they could have their voices heard. Is this a good idea? I am hoping that this might be a way of preventing duplication. The idea being that you might get Openreach to built the infrastructure that you need rather than doing it yourself. Does this make sense?

Perhaps the government could encourage telcos to participate, to give them incentives for buying shares in a shared Openreach.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Buying shares in a future Openreach
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »

Personally, no I don't think it is.

Different businesses have different business strategies and models - if they all ended up using the same infrastructure, you would just see entities selling very similar products and all to the same customers.

In addition, if all telco's brought shares, they would all want Openreach to do different things in terms of investment and/or where firms have their own infrastructure already, they may not want Openreach to invest in those areas - giving them a competitive advantage - and they are likely to be the bigger firms, so would be likely to have higher shareholdings..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »

If the CEO of a large ISP announced to its shareholders that their investment strategy was to invest in another companies shares I'm sure that CEO would not be in the job for long.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:41:40 AM »

I am thinking of a push being needed to make this work, so we all get the best network coverage and least wasteful duplication. Perhaps having financial incentives to encourage interconnection so that network operators would carry others' traffic would help, perhaps carried in tunnels.

anything