Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DECT phone & SNRM  (Read 4795 times)

GaryW

Re: DECT phone & SNRM
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »

So, the final results of adding microfilters....

Baseline without filters was that connecting the DECT base-station to the phone circuit would reduce the DS SNRM by 0.3dB w/o the handset in the base-station and by 0.5dB with the handset in the base-station.  Adding a microfilter improves this, and the optimum seems to be 2 microfilters which improves the SNRM reduction to 0.1dB and 0.2db respectively.  Adding more microfilters results in no further improvement.

However, adding more filters did improve other things.  Without filters, replacing the handset in the base-station would result in a brief downward spike in SNRM of over 1dB (sometimes over 1.5dB).  With 2 filters, this spike improved to a drop of 0.5dB (very consistent).  With 4 microfilters, this spike seem to have been completely eliminated.

So overall, 4 microfilters seems to be the optimum.

One other interesting effect was on the fluctuation in the DS SNRM.  Without filters, the SNRM would tend to oscillate with the difference between the upper and lower limits being 0.5-0.6dB.  Adding filters has made the SNRM much more stable - it tends to flatline, or at worst oscillate with the difference between the upper and lower limits being 0.1dB.

None of this has had any effect whatsoever on US SNRM which continues to bounce around constantly!  And because my line is banded, it hasn't improved the DS sync speed...but if DLM ever relents or BT start accepting requests for DLM resets it should have a slight benefit.

It'll be nice if the new power supply does improve things further, but I can live with a loss of 0.2dB...
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »

I read this post from the start to end and thought it does not follow the laws of physics for Broadband & Telephone.

So inserted a Micro Filter into SSFP MK4 phone socket and connected DECT phone and monitored DS and US errored seconds for two weeks a large drop of DS CRC and even US CRC errors.

Then decided to place another Microfilter in the gang it looks ugly yet DS and US CRC have lowered again in a week so. there is question here should those telephone extension pairs be terminated at the nte5c cam coloured blue ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:44:13 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:52 PM »

there is question here should those telephone extension pairs be terminated at the nte5c cam coloured blue ?

Yes.  :)

If it is one of the original NTE5Cs, then the connector plastic is coloured blue. If it is one of the revised NTE5Cs, then the connector plastic is clear (transparent).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »

Yes.  :)

If it is one of the original NTE5Cs, then the connector plastic is coloured blue. If it is one of the revised NTE5Cs, then the connector plastic is clear (transparent).

I just let the OR engineer install this last year 2017 and had a look inside it this year 2018 the SSFP MK4 is definitely connected correctly for a Data only Extension Socket on rear of SSFP  very different than the NTE5 and MK3 SSFP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »

very different than the NTE5 and MK3 SSFP.

Yes, agreed. I don't think that the NTE5C & Mk 4 SSFP are an improvement. In terms of build quality, they are considerably worse.  :(

I far prefer the NTE5/A and Mk 3 SSFP combination.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »

Yes, agreed. I don't think that the NTE5C & Mk 4 SSFP are an improvement. In terms of build quality, they are considerably worse.  :(

I can agree a slight wobble on the telephone socket on MK4 SSFP faceplate caused 8 US errored seconds and 2 DS errored seconds though the micro filters have stopped this from happening very odd.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 12:09:22 AM »

Perhaps it is a case of poor contacts in the plug/socket combination.  :-\

Have you removed the SSFP and plugged the microfilter directly into the "test" socket?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 12:18:27 AM »

Perhaps it is a case of poor contacts in the plug/socket combination.  :-\

Have you removed the SSFP and plugged the microfilter directly into the "test" socket?

Yes done this during ISP test 6 months ago and all ok via there test it turned out to be an OR issue at there end  :paperbag:

I think your asking me to try a a different phone to master socket/FFSP cable don't have any left have chucked them in the black bin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:27:33 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »

Understood.  :)

The fact that so many people have complained that the front faceplate (if just telephony) or the Mk 4 SSFP (if broadband access to the Internet and telephony) is so loose that any slight knock would displace it, makes me wonder about the quality of the connection to the inner, "test", socket. If I was listening to the circuit when the faceplate was knocked, I wouldn't be surprised to hear crackling.  :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:28 AM »

There is something not quite right with this NTE5C FFSP MK4 even the lady OR engineer spent more time replacing the old NTE5 & MK3 and getting it working though she had to call a friend to ask for pin termination numbers for a BT LAN socket 3 & 4 if i'm correct  :-\

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:49:22 AM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 01:23:10 AM »

I remember you mentioning that she had to make a phone call to ask for some information.

Connection of the data extension cable at the SSFP is simplicity, two wires, one in each hole of the connector. At the other end, in your computer room, if a 8P8C modular socket ("RJ45") was fitted, the two wires would go to connectors 4 and 5.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »

I remember you mentioning that she had to make a phone call to ask for some information.
4 and 5.

Thats it have my solder iron out gonna do some weird stuff nothing broadband related just experimental so going offline and thanks
Pages: 1 [2]

anything