Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reason for big VDSL improvement?  (Read 4176 times)

anoggin

Reason for big VDSL improvement?
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »

Could some kind soul please have a look at my line history (anoggin on MDWS) and venture an opinion as to why I have seen a large improvement in SNRM and attainable sync recently?

I have had FTTC service with Zen for 17 months.  For nearly the whole of that time, SNRM downstream was between 3 and 6, and attainable sync as calculated by my VMG1312-B10D was around 37 Kbps. The line would generally stay up for a month or so at a time. Error rates have never been a cause for concern.

In mid-November I began to get resyncs every day or two with a reason of Remote Defect Indicator. After the last of these, on 8 December, DS SNRM went from around 3 to around 12 and attainable sync went from 37 Kbps to 57 Kbps. These new figures are far better than anything I have ever seen before. They have remained as steady at these new levels as they were earlier at the old, much poorer levels. Nothing has changed in the house.

I was the first person to get FTTC service on our cabinet, and in the first few months as others came online, my speeds declined by less than 10%. This suggests to me that crosstalk has never been a big issue, and therefore the recent big improvement is unlikely to be the result of a crosstalker ceasing service.

So what could be going on? It is as if I have moved my house a few hundred metres nearer the cabinet.  I'm not complaining, of course, but my reason for trying to understand the improvement is that it might now be worth my while moving from Zen Fibre 1 (38 Mbps max) to Fibre 2 (76 Mbps max). But I don't want to do that if the SNRM improvement is likely to be temporary.

All views will be gratefully received.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Reason for big VDSL improvement?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »

You have vectoring which would increase your DS sync. Do you know when it was enabled as this might explain things?

snr changed around 8th December, would this be the application of vectoring?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:41:02 PM by skyeci »

anoggin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »

You have vectoring which would increase your DS sync. Do you know when it was enabled as this might explain things?

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see that vectoring is currently enabled but I regret I don't know whether it always has been. I can't see a way to look back and tell if and when it was enabled, but if such a way exists, I'd be keen to do so.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »

19:07 on the 8th December by poking around in the database directly.

History is not viewable via MDWS but might be able to get it on as an option eventually now that there are a few users with it.

It would only be available for DSLstats users though running V6.0.6 or later.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

anoggin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »

19:07 on the 8th December by poking around in the database directly.

Brilliant. Many thanks!

anoggin

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »

I must say the enabling of vectoring took me quite by surprise.  Our rural village had to wait a long time for FTTC, which arrived only 17 months ago. Yet here we are with vectoring, which only a handful of other MDWS users seem to have.

There are some absurdly long lines from our cabinet. Maybe vectoring has been enabled to try to provide or improve service to some of those remote users on their lonely farms.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »

You can count yourself lucky as you're at the top of the cabinet pecking order.

1 Huawei with Vectoring - a rare beast indeed, although becoming more common
2 Huawei without vectoring
3 ECI

It's given you an attainable boost of around 20Mbps, very impressive, actually I suspect you could get into the mid to high 60's as that attainable is probably based on a 6dB SNR. So crosstalk has clearly been affecting you one way or another, otherwise we wouldn't have seen the large increase in attainable.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »

Was wondering why Huawei BDUK cabinets have Vectoring enabled while the OR funded Huawei cabinets don't, can't see a reason why this should be the case is it down to money  :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »

I believe it's all to do with meeting targets on the BDUK cabinets. Vectoring allows further reach as I guess power could be increased without it affecting other VDSL lines, so more distant lines could see a big enough increase to reach the targets they need to. I don't actually think its that expensive to enable vectoring on the Huawei cabs.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »

looking at anoggins line would guess it's 800 meters to the cabinet and then take me for example 1000 meters to cabinet would I or all of us not benefit from Vectoring.

anoggin

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »

looking at anoggins line would guess it's 800 meters to the cabinet ...

My best estimate on the ground is 840 meters.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 12:06:45 AM »

My best estimate on the ground is 840 meters.

I'll try better next time to get it spot on  :D

anoggin

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »

I'll try better next time to get it spot on  :D

I thought you did impressively well already.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 12:16:39 AM »

I have adjusted the list...

2 Huawei without vectoring

...three technologies not on ECI (vectoring, ginp and 3db) so eight permutations.....

.....so that makes it.....

8 ECI

At times I wonder if BT have done the sums to see if instead of adding gfast pods just swapping eci cabs to huawei would give a better speed improvement to more people than rolling out gfast at all.  Can you tell I am on an ECI cab?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:23:08 AM by ktz392837 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:17 AM »

See that XdB (3dB) it can be chucked into the bin it can cause more instability than extra sync, ECI G.INP should have been active well over a year ago it worked well in 2015 (with a compatible modem)
Pages: [1] 2