Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach’s G.fast Ultrafast Broadband Pilot Covers 390000 UK Premises  (Read 1284 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/12/openreachs-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband-pilot-covers-390000-uk-premises.html

Openreach (BT) has announced that their new 330Mbps capable hybrid fibre G.fast broadband network is “now available” to thousands of people in Bath, Glasgow and Edinburgh, although none of the major ISPs have launched public packages and the final EMD phase still hasn’t begun.

Back in August 2017 the operator announced that their G.fast pilot would be expanded to include 26 additional locations across the United Kingdom (total of 46 locations) and this rollout was then “expected to reach a million premises by the end of the year”, although more recent updates have clarified that they actually meant “the end of the fiscal year” (BT’s financial year ends on 31st March 2018).

Openreach and BT Wholesale had originally said that G.fast’s Early Market Deployment (EMD) phase, which is the final phase after the pilot and before full commercial service availability, would begin in September 2017 but it appears to be lagging a little behind that plan (ideally they should have completed a bit more than 390,000 premises by now).

At the rate in which its being deployed and the changing of pods positioning I'm thinking this might be seen as a marketing flop. If I was the BT/OR head I would have been pushing it out to pods already. In its current form I'm not even sure it'll push the average speed up over all, as if people away from the cabinet/pod order it there speeds would be lower, which would counter the small group of people who would get better speeds. I think even if I was sat on top of the cabinet and had a solid 80Mbps I was see it as still a gamble to change to G.fast.

The people more likely to have updated G.fast are the ones that would have benefitted from pods further away from the cabinet.

Also, is it my imagination or didn't OR talk about unveiling a FTTP plan before Christmas or did I dream that up?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Openreach’s G.fast Ultrafast Broadband Pilot Covers 390000 UK Premises
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »

lol... mum's cab in Bath was done some months  ago yet still no g.fast service available for order....

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »

Ditto, the cabs in Wandsworth must have been upgraded to G.fast over 6 months ago now but its still not listed as available for order here yet either.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »

Well I have a G Fast pod on my cabinet for months, but still no G Fast, nearest live G Fast pod is Cab 31 which serve Holburne Museum,top of Great Pultney Street,Bath, barely 1.5 miles from me. :) :rant:
And Bath was in a Pilot area.  :lol::rant: