Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NatWest Bank Scam  (Read 5390 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
NatWest Bank Scam
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »

Just received this today, Firstly I don't bank with NatWest and secondly take a close look at the wording of the mail, there is also the blue NatWest logo heading which looks authentic on the email but has not been copied over to here.
The link below has also been disabled to stop any one clicking it.

Dear NatWest Bank On-line Banking member!

Our Technical Unit is doing an arranged Electronic Banking Service update

By clicking on the link below you will start the form of the client login update:

hxxp://www0.nwolb.com/details.aspx?session=26jwzywhuzdDfyvdthrldsOkhOvp

These directives are to be emailed and followed by all users of the Natwest Bank Electronic Banking

Natwest Bank does apologize for the inconveniences caused to you, and is very appreciative for your collaboration.

If you are not client of Natwest Bank Personal and Business please disregard this email!

*** This is robot generated e-mail, please do not reply ***

(c) '08 Natwest Private and Business. All Rights Reserved.

As you can see it was mass mailed to all of these addresses with various combinations of names, one of which was mine (they have since been altered for display on here)

To: <xxxhowix @blueyonder.co.uk>
Bcc: <xxxhowe @tiscali.co.uk>,
   <xxxhowier @tiscali.co.uk>,
   <xxxhowitt @beeb.net>,
   <xxxhowitt @beeb.uk>,
   <xxxhowkins @peugeotnet.co.uk>,
   <xxxhowle @yahoo.co.uk>,
   <xxxhowlett @btinternet.com>,
   <xxxhowlett @hotmail.co.uk>,
   <xxxhowlett @hotmail.com>
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:08:56 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: NatWest Bank Scam
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »

OF,I have had various phishing emails similar to that one you received.I have had Nat West,RBS(Royal Bank Scotland)and Halifax online banking.Just forward the email to the relevant bank security dept,then delete it.
There must be people who actually reply to these,or they would not bother.  :no:

Edit:The address to forward the email is.  Phishing@natwest.com
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:45:52 PM by UncleUB »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »

I've had the odd one or maybe even two in the past, but normally I just delete them like all the other junk mail, as for forwarding them on to the appropriate authorities, to be honest I again never bother, in truth, it's too much trouble.
But as you provided the NatWest link, I have forwarded it onto them and have since received their automated response.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »

Of,all I do is keep the banks addresses in my address book and then forward the scam emails on to them .You like to think you are doing your bit.I'm not sure it does any good but...........

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »

You like to think you are doing your bit.I'm not sure it does any good but...........
Totally agree, but it's only money after all.
Our money, not theirs so why should they, lets face it, nothing is fool-proof and they have had how many years to try and combat this type of thing.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »

Heres one I have just received (again)

Unfortunately, your online service has been suspended.

To ensure your protection, we've now suspend access to your accounts due to a mis-match of access code between your
Security details. You now need to verify your Identity. You won't be able to gain access to your accounts until you've done this.

To verify your Identity, please click on the guide-link below and follow the directions to instant activation. Carefully assign
your details as they are securely encrypted. This would take less than five minutes.

LINK MODIFIED SO IT DOESN'T WORK --> https://fakehalifax-online.co.uk/_mem_bin/customer/formslogin.asp

Important Notice – You are strictly advised to match your Secret Question & Answer correctly to avoid service denial.

Yours Sincerely,
Halifax Secure Customer Zone

Mod note - link changed so it doesn't work. NEVER click on links in Emails like this!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:42:52 PM by roseway »