Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HLog a mess  (Read 6902 times)

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
Re: HLog a mess
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »

@NewtronStar,

the pole in question isn't my pole it's the next 1 closer to the cabinet.

The cable may be armored but if there is a joint then the weight of the tractor could separate the connection?

When you say duct do you mean maintenance shaft or plastic duct?
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

Hmmmmm ?? TBH, NS .......... it's either one or the other ......... it's either poly cable shoved through a duct, or armoured cable lain directly in the ground. The only time armoured cable in a duct is utilised is when our contractors get involved  ::)  :).

Believe me, over the many years and working on a semi-rural/semi-urban patch .... I've had quite a few situations akin to MP's circumstance. The cable (as we all know) will unlikely be at the required depth, and even if it had been, years of churning with tractors and trailers can see it become pretty much visible.

I suppose it depends on the level of damage, but I would expect a certain amount of audible noise to be heard on the PSTN side of the circuit if it is 'crushed pairs' causing the problem. The only tru way to ascertain for certain, is to monitor the comings and goings of said tractor and see if it ties in with your graphical data ?? 

Apologies if anything similar has been mentioned earlier in the thread, I haven't read it all, just the last page.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »

@NewtronStar,

the pole in question isn't my pole it's the next 1 closer to the cabinet.

The cable may be armored but if there is a joint then the weight of the tractor could separate the connection?

When you say duct do you mean maintenance shaft or plastic duct?

Duct = plastic tubing

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »

Your right Black Sheep your flock are trying to get rid of this armoured cable lain directly in the ground and move over to poly cable shoved through a duct and that comes from those contractors who lay down the cable for Openreach  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »

Absolutely correct NS .......... 960/70's estates were generally serviced by these old-style armoured cables, and as with most things, perish over the years. We now replace these with duct where financially possible, when they get beyond repair.

Rural is a different kettle of fish ............ armoured cable is king in these cases.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 08:56:31 PM »

@Black Sheep,

so you think my theory tractors cause the joint at that pole to disconnect is possible?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »

There's a million possibilities, MS ........... it's proving them that's the difficulty, especially with something as negligible and intermittent as your issue.

See note above about possibly making notes of hard and fast times, when the tractors are crossing our cable.  :) Evidence is everything.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 12:17:41 AM »

@Black Sheep,

the field the tractors go into is out of view but I notice the area in question becoming boggier & boggier

Pic attached before the area become boggy
Pages: 1 2 [3]