Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Ronski's Pfsense router build  (Read 69732 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: Ronski's Pfsense router build
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2023, 06:41:14 PM »

I still havent ordered mine, but will do so before Christmas.

On my existing unit I did replace the paste, and might do on the new unit as well.  However these new units have a lower TDP and a more powerful chip which shouldnt need to work as hard, so am expecting better temps out the box.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2023, 08:53:28 PM »

Pay no attention to the TDP.  The N100 is supposed to be a lower TDP than the N5105 but in practice it boosts higher which caused my PoE splitter (36W) to fall over during boot.

On average, they appear to consume the same which is also reflected in how they run at about the same temperature too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2023, 06:32:40 PM »

I mount my case on 25mm standoffs on a plywood wall surface so there is a good air flow around the case, the cpu temp = 45c  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2023, 09:08:18 PM »

Pay no attention to the TDP.  The N100 is supposed to be a lower TDP than the N5105 but in practice it boosts higher which caused my PoE splitter (36W) to fall over during boot.

On average, they appear to consume the same which is also reflected in how they run at about the same temperature too.

I will likely disable turbo boosting like on my current unit, I think thats what they base the TDP on.  I will share here if I have similar experience to you on the power draw.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2023, 03:46:39 AM »

Turbo boost helps greatly with removing the slight delay when accessing LuCI though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2023, 11:08:06 AM »

Looks like I cant login to ali to order one, it wants me to verify email to complete login, I am using gmail, but the verification email never arrives, so their verification system is broken.

If they dont fix it I guess I need to make a duplicate account.  But I am guessing the email to activate the new account probably wouldnt work either or any order email receipts.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »

Ordered mine now, the email started working.

I can see my past qotom order on there and I paid so much for that, and that was with no drive or ram included as well.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »

Yeah same with my 7200U, though I paid over the odds due to using Amazon as I wasn't convinced of Ali at the time.

Its really quite astonishing what level of CPU power you can get for £200-£300 today, especially given inflation.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2023, 06:30:09 PM »

How long did you guys wait for your delivery?

Mine was ordered 17 November and has a tracking number, but when I click it, it says no information available, and not hit UK customs yet.

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »

12 days from order.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2023, 02:29:54 AM »

How long did you guys wait for your delivery?

Mine was ordered 17 November and has a tracking number, but when I click it, it says no information available, and not hit UK customs yet.

AliExpress tracking is very hit and miss.

Try:

https://track24.net/service/aliexp/tracking/
Or
https://parcelsapp.com/en/shops/aliexpress

AliExpress gives a single tracking number which usually only covers a single courier on 1 leg of the journey. Those 2 sites sometimes give alternative/additional tracking numbers.
If Aliexpress gave you an AliExpress Shipping number then 1 of those sites should give the UK courier tracking number.

If Aliexpress gave you a tracking number ending GB then it's Royal Mail and there's not much to track till it clears customs.

A thing I noticed with AliExpress recently was how clever they have got at combining shipping from multiple orders. I ordered 6 very small items from 6 different sellers and they were all shipped from different parts of China, all sent to the same outbound warehouse then all 6 items were put in to a single box and delivered as 1 item.
The 6th item took 8 days to reach the outbound warehouse which meant the other 5 items were held up waiting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 02:34:29 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2023, 01:17:27 PM »

Well I got an email today, telling me to check, (not sure why they cant put in email), seems it is out for delivery today.  The update skipped all the intermediate steps, so seems like j0hn said its hit and miss.

Also yes it ends in GB, thanks for the insight. :)

--

So aliexpress has "out for delivery"
Parcelforce says its gone to normal royal mail (letters).
Royal mail says it is expected, and have the 28th as the dispatch date. (I guess when handed over to them)
If I go to aliexpress details page I then see they mark it as out for delivery just because the second courier company has the parcel so yeah very misleading, wont be getting it today.

Hopefully will have it by Friday as its the 48 hour service not 24h.  So about 14 days.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 04:36:54 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2023, 06:45:55 PM »

I can't remember if every stage showed up before delivery, but overall I think my experience was different.

It was actually much more informative than my Steam Deck which only had to come from the Netherlands, EU stuff is so much slower since Brexit.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:48:33 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2023, 10:28:57 PM »

Oh yeah I dont have anything like that.

:)

There was a china depot thing and UK customs (it was stuck on china depot for 12 days), but they have vanished following today's updates.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2023, 07:57:37 PM »

I now have the customs on there, so may be it will end up looking like yours Alan, just seems to be a much slower delivery.  So this wont be here tommorow as Royal mail dont have it yet.  Aliexpress still think its out for delivery. :)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

anything