Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Noisy Line  (Read 1229 times)

JamesK

• Reg Member
Noisy Line
« on: October 14, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct section of the forum....

Generally I don't have a telephone connected, so the only thing connected is the Openreach modem. Today I decided to plug a phone in, and was quite surprised there was a large amount of crackling audible above the dialling tone. When I called 150 to report the issue I didn't even have to say much to the operator as they could tell it wasn't normal, so the fault is now officially logged.

I'm surprised the modem is managing to hold sync.

Given the crackling is constantly there, would this show up anywhere in my MDWS stats? Are there any areas I can look at to see if the noise is having an impact on my line stats? Or anything in DSLStats itself I can look at?

Many Thanks...

Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Noisy Line
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »

If the broadband is fine and has always been fine, I would double check with another corded phone just incase. If it was a wireless phone then definitely try a corded 1. Have you performed a quiet line test? 17070 to run the test.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JamesK

• Reg Member
Re: Noisy Line
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:59 PM »

It's actually a brand new corded phone. I was plugging it in to test it worked. I'd only brought it because we managed to throw out the old phone as it had ended up in a box of stuff to be dumped. Even though we don't ever use the land line I always want to have a traditional corded phone in case of emergency.

I made the call to BT from the test socket. There were points in the conversation with BT when the noise went completely, and then it returned, sometimes at a minimal level, other times very bad. At least the operator could clearly hear it, so it made the call go very smoothly, which hasn't always the case when contacting BT in the past.

Noise on the line had been a problem a few years ago, so it's a little irritating that it's returned. I know the wiring in the box on the exterior wall of the house is less than optimal, so that may be something BT have to properly sort out this time, but it could also be nothing to do with it.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U