Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Billion Bipac 8800NL PPPoA to PPPoE conversion - possible?  (Read 7215 times)

Pockets

Billion Bipac 8800NL PPPoA to PPPoE conversion - possible?
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »

I'm trying to get a Billion Bipac 8800NL to work as a plain modem, in conjunction with a pfSense box on Sky ADSL Broadband. (I already got the correct username/password for Sky's authentication by the tcpdump/wireshark method described in many places elsewhere.)

As far as I can tell, one option is to put the Billion into 'half-bridge' mode as described, here, for example:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/features/2423-how-to-set-up-a-billion-bipac-8800nl-in-ppp-half-bridge-mode/

However, I still haven't succeeded into getting this to work. I presume this is because I haven't configured pfSense correctly, but I am not absolutely sure. In addition, I gather that half-bridge mode has its own drawbacks.

I read that the Draytek Vigor 120/130 offers a configuration option which does PPPoA to PPPoE conversion, which would act more like a regular bridge and avoid the problems with half bridge mode. Can anyone advise whether the Billion 8800NL is capable of doing the same thing? I have had a good look and I'm none the wiser...

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Billion Bipac 8800NL PPPoA to PPPoE conversion - possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »

Why not use the O2 authentication settings for Sky ADSL?

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED
MTU: 1500

Dray

• Kitizen

Pockets

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »

Why do you think the O2 settings would help? I have authentication working properly. It's the bridging/PPPoA-PPPoE/half-bridging setup that is posing problems.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »

Oh sorry, you didn't say you had the authentication working. I was just providing all the settings you need to authenticate successfully.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »

The Draytek modems are superb if you have a short line, the 130 was disappointing sync speed performer on my ultra-long BTW ADSL2+ line.

They protocol-convert between PPPoE over Ethernet on the LAN and PPPoA over DSL. PPPoA over DSL is of course more efficient than PPPoEoA over DSL (around ~3% faster with 1500 byte IP packets, if my maths is up to it). Could be zero difference with certain packet lengths, could be 50% worse with certain very short packets.

But that's all as nought if the Draytek doesn't sync as fast as alternative modem X.

Does Sky ADSL (presumably ADSL2+?) allow PPPoA?

One other nice thing about them is that they allow you to have full 1500 byte MTU (IP total PDU length) rather than 1492, so no chance of any MTU problems on the internet, but this is only achievable if your router can handle exchanging ‘baby jumbo’ Ethernet frames with 1508 byte payload with the modem, containing PPP + PPPoE. If not, you're stuck with reduced MTU. Another nice thing about the Draytek 130 is it’s zero config, it just works, on BTW anyway, wouldn't know about Sky.

I use three DLink DSL-320B-Z1 PPPoEoA-over-DSL modems on my 21CN ADSL2 line. So much faster sync rate on my ultra-long-line that the 3% performance loss compared with the Draytek on big up-/downloads due to PPPoEoA inefficiency is irrelevant. Ultra-cheap compared with the Draytek, and like the Draytek supports full 1500 byte MTU (but not possible on 20CN because of BTW) with the same conditions on the router’s PPP + PPPoE 1508 support. If you decide to try a DLink it's vital to read health warnings about safe and sane config in earlier thread. (Scary security holes, bugs and insane DSL settings if used with default config, but extremely easy to fix.) Otherwise they're zero-config, on BTW anyway.

Pockets

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »

Yes, the Sky ADSL connection uses PPPoA.  I can configure the Billion as a modem/router combo using PPPoA without any issues. It's using the Billion for a PPPoA half-bridge (or alternative PPPoA to PPPoE conversion) with a router/firewall behind it that I can't figure out how to do.

The martinshouse link is interesting, but I'm struggling to make use of it because it's from 2009.  My Billion and pfSense configuration pages are sufficiently different looking that I'm still stuck.

Pockets

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »

kitzuser87430, in the case of Sky, the DSL connection is PPPoA.  Since pfSense can only handle PPPoE, I don't think that will work.  (I'd love to be wrong).

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:57:03 PM »

Try the full bridge; i use a TT super router in bridge mode on my adsl connection and have used many devices as the router including pfsense.

Billion in full bridge converts (or bridges) the pppoa to a pppoe, as long as the pfsense can authenticate (does it do/need option 60?) you should be fine.

Ian

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »

So you can't use 1483 Bridge IP LLC on your Billion?

Pockets

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »

kitzuser87430, so your DSL is definitely PPPoA? And you set pfSense as a PPPoE connection with a username/password? I'm not sure if the unusual Sky authentication will stop that working, but sounds like it might be worth another shot.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »

As I said, you can use straight PPPoA on Sky ADSL. And according to the link I gave you, you can use PPPOE on pfsense athough it recommends use of 1483 Bridge IP LLC on the Billion.

I have to use Sky MER with an HG612 and pfSense as I have Sky Fibre unlimited Pro.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:34:59 PM by Dray »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »

Pfsense definetly works on sky fibre...

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 09:54:56 PM »

This info concerns me when the 8800NL is in bridge mode " When the router is in this mode, it is transparent to the Internet (all ports are opened) meaning the single device behind it will rely on its own firewall for protection"

So the bridged router will need to have a good firewall with all ports closed (Stealth)
Pages: [1] 2

anything