Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Influence or Difference Does Power dBm Have on a Link?  (Read 3329 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
What Influence or Difference Does Power dBm Have on a Link?
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »

Hi,

Just wondered if someone could perhaps explain what the power dbm level can do to a link. I have been testing syncs at the same time of day (with more than 24hr between gaps) between my zyxel 8324 and hg612 3b, note connected to eci cab.

I notice the zyxel (with v15 firmware) seems to be running with a power rating of 2.7dbm on both up and down where as the hg612 seems to run with a power setting of 4.3dbm on up and down.

Be nice to know if it does make any difference having a lower or higher setting and what would be deemed better for a noisy line - I note overall the zyxel does sync higher at about 1mb, and the attainable figures seem better with the zyxel. The hg612 shows generally an attainable below the sync.

Many thanks

cliver

• Reg Member
Re: What Influence or Difference Does Power dBm Have on a Link?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »

Seems odd. In theory the higher power output the better your signal will rise above the noise (better snrm). Therefore you should get better sync speeds on your Zyxel I would have thought.
Interested in this thread as I have just got a Zyxel 8924 and comparing it with my TT super router HG635. Just running stats on the 8924 for a few days to see how it compares. I'm also waiting for delivery of an hg612 for comparison as well.
One question if anyone can answer....
TR06ó - what is it, does it need to be disabled and how do I disable it on the Zyxel 8924?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »

you should be able to disable it from the menus. both my 8324's where ex kcom, I just filled in or changed the details then finally it let me disable it. I think from memory it took a few goes. If its enabled it may get an update from whoever its set to. I think both mine pointed to a url so I just removed this or typed a false address, I can though confirm both of mine are set on disabled, just a had a quick look.

I also seem to recall it would only let me disable when I flashed it with a different version than was installed so if its on the 7 or above but not the latest flash it to 15 then see if you can disable it.

Did you mean the hg612 ? - the hg612 is on 4.3 and the zyel was on 2.7. which is better closer to zero or closer to 10 etc..

thanks

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »

I have flashed 15 already. Sorry yes I got your power ratings the wrong way round. The higher figure is higher power out therefore better snrm therefore better sync speed. Which is what you are seeing, I think.
Mine points to some URL as well, I'll give it a go by blanking or putting a dummy URL in there. Thanks.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »

Hmm not sure then as the zyxel was lower but had a higher sync...seems a bit odd..

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 02:53:57 PM »

Hmm not sure then as the zyxel was lower but had a higher sync...seems a bit odd..
Does seem odd to me as well. To be clear we are talking about transmit power up and down?
Anyone else have an explanation for this?

Got my TR069 disabled in the end. It needed a dummy URL in the ACS URL and all the rest blank before it would accept it.
@kitz - should the TR069 settings be added to the VMG 8324 settings page http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm ?
Regards
Clive

Edited to correct power statement.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 02:58:22 PM by cliver »

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:01:15 PM »

Also seems odd that you power output is the same up and down.
Mine is 5.7 dBm up         12.4 dBm down. I wouldn't have thought they would be the same as the source are different up and down.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »

yeap I was referring to power dbm and not snrm, zyxel has lower power dbm but higher sync and better attainable figures than the hg612.. Ah well might give the 8324 another go in a few days..

here's my 8324 tr069 stuff showing disabled. Not all of the 8324's out there will need it disabled. Only ex ISP supplied ones I would think.

maybe it depends on cab, I am on ECI - are you on huaewi - might be very different
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:05:16 PM by skyeci »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »

I would check the power figures per band.

I think there may have been a bug with one ECI cabinet firmware version about the power level being reported as the same value for upstream and downstream.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:43 PM »

this was the before and after via mdws..2.7 > 4.3

ok so hg612 stats shows this

downstream tx power
8.2 , 7.3 , 7.3

upstream tx power
-6, -2.7, 3.9

actual aggregate tx power 4.3 on both..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:14:11 PM by skyeci »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »

It's given in the output of adsl info --pbParams

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 03:15:16 PM »

Here's mine that worked.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »

perhaps this helps ?

thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »

interestingly just looked back at the previous stats and on version 14 firmware the power shows being 4.9 for some weeks where as on v15 it shows at 2.7 on the same device from when it was installed. Perhaps this is zyxel firmware related rather than line related?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »

I don't tend to trust reported powers.  I have found that on an ECI cab the powers reported often change with the same modem and different resyncs.  While the power changes the attainable or snrm at fixed sync does not seem to change.  Things may be different on a Huawei cab.
Pages: [1] 2