Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM/band jumping around - normal?  (Read 3341 times)

LordFox

SNRM/band jumping around - normal?
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:04:24 AM »

I upgraded to 80/20 FTTC about 10 days ago. Everything seems to work great, I get 70+/18+ speeds. However, I've noticed the following several times now on the upstream SNRM/band when watching DSLstats, and I wonder if it's bad...

The downstream stays pretty level, just a slight wiggle of about a quarter to half a dB peak-to-peak, the same as always.

Today the changes on that plot looked closely linked with a few spikes on the CRC errors/minute. You're free to check out the mydslwebstats page for my username, of course.

Is this anything I should be concerned about?
PN 80/20 FTTC /29 subnet. VMG8324 modem. Mikrotik RB3011 Router. SG300 Switches. /48 IPv6 prefix. PiHoles. Stratum-1 NTP. Fibre around the house.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: SNRM/band jumping around - normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »

Hi.

You must be very close the cab with your sync and attainable figures. I would wait until g.inp gets activated hopefully on your line soon. This will help with the errored seconds too. I dont think the snrm is much to worry about.

If it was my line I would leave it be for now and continue to monitor.

What modem are you using as its not been set in mydsl. Worth updating that in mydsl. Hopefully your modem is g.inp compatiable.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:17:20 AM by skyeci »

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »

I wonder if it is an OpenReach technician connecting others to FTTC, has you cabinet just started taking orders?

Another thought as the times are "working hours" is interference from another source, are you in a residential area?

Ian

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »

I wonder if it is an OpenReach technician connecting others to FTTC, has you cabinet just started taking orders?

Another thought as the times are "working hours" is interference from another source, are you in a residential area?

Ian
There was nothing on Saturday, pattern started Sunday and repeated Monday. If it was an OR engineer connecting customers he's very slow at his job.
LordFox I recommend checking all the boxes in the "items to monitor" tab on DslStats as there's some data that can't be seen at the moment as you're not uploading/recording it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

LordFox

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »

Thank you all for those replies; I'll make the changes suggested. I've only just started logging with mydslwebstats, as you can see, because I wanted to track the issue in the OP. It was happening before that; at least once, maybe twice.

My location is a single residential street that goes up a hill, with little else nearby. There is nothing industrial apart from  a care home and a farmhouse a bit further up the hill. I thought my cabinet was one that's about 200m down the street, I remember them putting in the FTTC cabinet some time ago. I wonder though if there's another (closer) cabinet a bit further up past my house. I don't go that way often, it's a dead-end eventually, but I'll have a look when I get chance.

My modem's a Zyxel VMG8324 in bridge mode, followed by Mikrotik RB850Gx2 Router.

The times of the events don't seem to coincide with anything in my house. Yesterday's results were remarkably close to me turning on my kit in the morning and afternoon, but off by about ten minutes so probably a coincidental red-herring. I'll continue to watch.
PN 80/20 FTTC /29 subnet. VMG8324 modem. Mikrotik RB3011 Router. SG300 Switches. /48 IPv6 prefix. PiHoles. Stratum-1 NTP. Fibre around the house.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »

what firmware have you got the 8324 on. You should get G.INP with that modem. Current version is v14.

Wish I had your attainable rate lol..

hmm you have just gone offline on mydsl as I was looking at it..

LordFox

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »

Yeah, I had just gone off - should be back now. I realised DSLstats was going out through my VPN to upload to the web stats and I was trying to do some custom routing to force it onto the real interface. Needs more work...

The Zyxel is on 1.00(AAKL.14)C0. I checked is was current when I got it.

LordFox

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »

Another event like the above has just started... didn't do anything myself to cause it.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

my neighbour used to cause me a lot of cross talk and hampering my snrm pretty badly to cause a lower speed in my sync. In the end I got a pair swap and did manage to get away from it. I saw the drop but it has come back up. I wonder if its a cross talker?? If its not causing a re-sync and you are no worse off speed wise which doesn't seem to be the case yet I would be inclined to leave it. Your sync and attainable are very nice. I am waiting to see if and when you get G.INP...
Your past 24hrs errors are still keeping you on the green zone on mydsl, I wish - I am constantly in the yellow..
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:50:49 PM by skyeci »

LordFox

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »

It doesn't seem to have a significant effect on speeds. I've just done a speed test at dslreports and got 72.7/17.16 which is around what I usually get. My connection hasn't had a resync or any usability problem that I've noticed since it went live on FTTC thirteen days ago. Not even when in the middle of one of these events.

Someone is doing something, somewhere, I guess. Trouble is around here there are a remarkable number of 'trade' type people living; electricians, builders etc. so who knows what they might be powering up in their sheds. For my part, my house lights dim when I turn on everything in my Cisco lab rack at once  :o but I haven't done that for a while.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »

It is a bit weird - especially as most changes are step-wise, suggesting it is something being turned on/off. Weird, too, that U2 tends to show the opposite effect to U0 and U1.

Most weird is that, if there are changes being made to U0, U1 and U2 individually, why are there no changes to the overall upstream band? We see one-off blips, but no long-term alterations. Or (given that upstream power backoff plays a part) why no alteration in power?

Still, there are very few errors, so it is probably one to just monitor.

LordFox

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »

Yes, I found it odd that U2 always increases while the others decrease, and they almost seem to keep a constant-ish average value.

I didn't know if the stepping was normal (some 'management' being performed on the connection) or part of the event itself. If it's part of the event then it does look like something being powered in steps. I wonder if there's an HF amateur radio user in the area... not noticed any big aerials. I haven't got my kit any more to check that out.

Hmmm... there's always something going on.

LordFox

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »

Just an update on the above issue, not that anyone can do anything about it...

It's still happening, almost every day. I noticed it didn't happen last Sunday. The events always end around 6pm every day, or at least within the range 5:45 to 6:15.

That makes it really look like someone is doing something nearby (powering up something big for instance) and finishes work at around 6. There is the odd outlier on the graphs which is probably not related.

Still, whatever it is it does not seem to cause any noticeable detriment to my connection.

anything