Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach very active  (Read 2110 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Openreach very active
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

Noticed a lot of activity in my area and have seen massive reels of Fiber cables, so I asked a engineer who was fiddling in a cab what was going on and he told me how they were installing more fibre for the cabs for Infinity.

He didn't know about G.Fast when I asked him specifically but he did say more was being ran to the cabs, as all the Cabinets in my Village have FTTC I can only assume they are for future G.Fast plans.  :fingers:

First Time I've seen an Openreach Lorry and 3 old style vans in my Village too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach very active
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »

. . . have seen massive reels of Fiber cables, . . .

How would you describe what was wound onto those reels?  :-\  Looking like black cable, approximately one inch in diameter and with a yellow stripe running down the entire length?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:18:47 PM »

It was the stripe that tipped me off to it being Fiber.

Cable was on a large reel that was bigger than a car, I've also seen reels with orange tubing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:27:17 PM »

That black "cable" with a yellow stripe isn't a cable it is a sub-duct which, in turn, holds a number of blown fibre tubes. The sub-duct is pulled into pre-existing ducts or tunnels by means of the normal cabling practices.

At a later time, the actual glass-fibres will be blown down the tubes which are contained within that sub-duct. :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »

So what are the odds of Openreach pre-emptively blowing Fiber everywhere in preparation for G.Fast?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »

So what are the odds of Openreach pre-emptively blowing Fiber everywhere in preparation for G.Fast?

That could be a possibility.  :shrug2:

In the case of your village, where you say all the existing PCPs have a fibre twin cabinet, it could be to supply further capacity to the village's infrastructure or it might just be to provide fibre feeds to other areas. I.e. The new fibres will just transit through your home village on route to a currently "fibreless" destination.

Keep watching and reporting what activity you witness . . . and one of us will try to interpret what you see.  :)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:55:57 PM »

Only one place is further from the exchange than my cabinet and that is where I'd imagine a new all in one would have to be installed, as the place is currently served by my cabinet but is around 2miles from the cabinet.

That's not due till Jan-March 2018 though.

What would require more capacity of no new cabs are needed I was under the impression each cab got one GBE link and nothing else?

The second they bolt anything on to a cabinet I'll be sure to post it somewhere on here.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »

Only one place is further from the exchange than my cabinet and that is where I'd imagine a new all in one would have to be installed, as the place is currently served by my cabinet but is around 2miles from the cabinet.

That could well be one destination for a bunch of fibres.

What would require more capacity of no new cabs are needed I was under the impression each cab got one GBE link and nothing else?

I believe you are thinking about the cable links at the serving fibre "head end" exchange. As far as I am aware, each cabinet is provided with a minimum of four tubes (and thus four fibres) from a sub-duct. Attached below is an image from an ECI Hi-FOCuS M41 equipped cabinet that clearly shows three currently unused "stoppered" tubes and one fibre occupied tube, supplying the DSLAM. (Thanks are due to Walter for the provision of the original image.)

The second they bolt anything on to a cabinet I'll be sure to post it somewhere on here.

Photographs would be most acceptable, if at all possible, please.  :)

anything