Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wanted: Cable router suggestions  (Read 1251 times)

ryan2390

Wanted: Cable router suggestions
« on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

Hi All,

As some of you are aware I recently got my FTTH activated and as such the network here can now be upgraded. We've opted for a Ubiquiti AC LR access point and a TP-LINK gigabit switch to try and tidy up the mess of cables we have in the hall at the moment. However I also want to ditch the BT Homehub.

I have been looking at the Ubiquiti edge router lite however I'd prefer something that requires less configuration out of the box but can be fiddled with if I want/need to. In my original post I was concerned about not having enough LAN to WAN capacity however the BT box can manage it so chances are most other modern routers will be able to cope with the internet connection.

Ideally I want something that is ready to go out of the box. I know I'll have to configure the PPoE settings and configure the DHCP server the way I want it but other than that I would like it to be pretty much plug and play. The edge router looks like it will be a little more complicated than that. Whilst I have been looking for an alternative I have yet to find one.

Looking at spending around £100 for this new router. I'd like something with a good VPN so I can dabble with that should I choose to and have good NAT for when I play online games. Wireless isn't required obviously so I think that's about it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thank you.

Ryan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wanted: Cable router suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »

This thread is related to After a high throughput router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryan2390

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »

Indeed. Sorry about that burakkat. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I posted a separate one so I do apologise. Feel free to delete this thread and I will move over to the other one.

Apologies once again  :-[ :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »

It's no problem and no harm has been done.  :)

Rather than delete this thread, I think it would be sensible for me to move it to the Broadband Related --> Broadband Hardware location and then lock it so that any further comments, advice, etc, can be made to the other (earlier) thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything