Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Understanding waiting list and cabinet capacity  (Read 6153 times)

jimmyp

• Just arrived
Understanding waiting list and cabinet capacity
« on: June 04, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »

Hi,

I've also posted this on thinkbroadband so apologies if anyone has already seen this but it looks like there are different people in the know on this forum that may be able to help...

I have found myself in a very frustrating situation where BT have mistakenly moved me off FTTC (66 Mbps) back to ADSL (2.5Mbps) and now i cant quickly be moved back as my cabinet is at capacity and is waiting for another cabinet to be added.

My Infinity order is currently in a waiting list, waiting for either capacity to be added or someone to come off so i can be reconnected. (I'm connected to Exmouth Cabinet 56) I have the following questions:

Is there anyway to find out how long until another cabinet is added (how long is a piece of string i guess is the answer)?

Does anyone know for sure how the waiting list system works and if there is a way to find out how many are on the list? Yesterday it showed availability for a brief period. Coincidentally i saw openreach working at the cabinet on two separate occasions. Could it have been that someone was disconnected and then later someone else connected, during which time a port was available and therefore the checker showed availability?

Finally, i assume the waiting list is fully automatic? BT retail tell me they receive updates and my order is reviewed every 15 days but i assume (and hope) if a port is freed up between these updates then the next in the waiting list automatically reserves the port?

I've pretty much given up on being able to fast-track anything so have accepted i just have to wait but it would be nice to be able to set my expectations as to when i'll be back on FTTC

Thanks

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Understanding waiting list and cabinet capacity
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:10:58 PM »

Hi and welcome :)

Of what I know, the waiting list system is fully automatic, when a space become available and you're next, Openreach will automatically progress your order for FTTC - in turn this automatically notifies your ISP - who then ask you for more money  ;)

As for finding out where you are on the list and how long it will take, no idea on that one I'm afraid. If you want to know when they add more capacity, all you can really do is keep an eye here: https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

If I was in your situation I would made a very big noise and complained regarding BT taking you off FTTC.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jimmyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:03:22 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to piece together how the system works.

The issue is being dealt with by the BT executive level complaints team. I'm kicking off regarding the mistake and the knock on effect its had has its rendered BT TV useless. obviously their hands are tied to a certain extent given my cabinet has run out of capacity which is in control of Openreach. Its a very frustrating situation  :'(

My order is currently in the waiting list and i'm just hoping its not that long a list and enough people come off FTTC asap.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

how long have you been on the waiters list? it automatically cancels the order after 90 days if not completed
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jimmyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »

Only 14 days so far. Still plenty of time to be on the list but it seems unfair to drop off after 90 days and have to start again at the bottom.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »

Seems like you will just have to wait it out sadly :( Hopefully the executive complaints team can do something in terms of your costings etc, but as you rightly say, the cabinet is in the hands of OR.

You find that people won't normally come of FTTC though unless they move property.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

jimmyp

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:59:52 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just thought i would let you know im back on FTTC :)

The order went through on Friday and BT expedited the install to yesterday.

Thanks for all the help, info etc.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »

Good news and a good result. Thank you for sharing your news. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 01:23:41 AM »

yeah you the same guy on tbb.

Your cabinet confirmed by that guy on TBB didnt get any capacity added, it simply looks like BTr were able to get you to the top of the waiting list which I expect may have upset some other isp's :)  But good news for you and is a benefit of choosing BTr as your isp.

Like when I first went on FTTC I deliberately chose BTr knowing they could cut corners through any red tape.

WesBez7

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 02:01:25 AM »

yeah you the same guy on tbb.

Your cabinet confirmed by that guy on TBB didnt get any capacity added, it simply looks like BTr were able to get you to the top of the waiting list which I expect may have upset some other isp's :)  But good news for you and is a benefit of choosing BTr as your isp.

Like when I first went on FTTC I deliberately chose BTr knowing they could cut corners through any red tape.

A mistake they themselves caused. Quite rightly they should resolve a mistake like that. Sadly this happens. Try moving house. See if you can cut through that red tape.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 11:34:55 AM »

Hi jimmyp,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see someone post so close to me, I live near Newton Poppleford. :)

anything