Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TalkTalk Fibre Large statistics.  (Read 5575 times)

DMZ

TalkTalk Fibre Large statistics.
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »

Hello Kitz community,

This is my first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong section of the site.

I recently moved house and with my contract with BT finished I wanted to save those pennies and looked about and TalkTalk caught my eye for their fibre deals on offer.

Obviously I went and got it otherwise I wouldn't be posting this...

I have general knowledge of stats etc and just wanted an expert view on my current stats.

I'm using TalkTalk's supplied HG633 all in one router gateway and I understand that it's made by Huawei.

I'm connected unfortunately to an ECI cabinet but thankfully no ill affects as of yet.  :fingers:

The reason I'm asking for some opinions is for peace of mind as with BT their Home Hub 5 was awful. Both the Type A and Type B gave me no end of issues.

The HG633 seems to offer more information such as interleaved depth and if I'm on a fast or interleaved profile. Thankfully I'm on fast.

Plus it so far seems much more stable than the HH5s and general throughput is more consistent than it was with BT's plague gateways.

It was installed on Thursday, 26th May hence the low uptime.

I will probably get the all clear from you guys as I've looked on here and you're all brilliantly intelligent.

Any who here is the stats:

Broadband Information
DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Fast
DSL up-time:
2 days 5 hours 50 minutes 25 seconds

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: TalkTalk Fibre Large statistics.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I've taken a look at the statistics provided by your HG633 and there doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary. Your line rate speeds of 72.6/20.0 Mbps DS/US are really quite respectable and the SNRM of 7.1/6.8 dB DS/US shows that there might be a just little more DS speed available . . . It all depends upon the time of day when the modem synchronised with the cabinet DSLAM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DMZ

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »

Hi burakkucat,
Thank you for the positive feedback and warm welcome, the modem synchronised with the cabinet after about 2PM.

So afternoon time.  ;D

The SNRM does fluctuate very litte on the up and down. I would hazard a guess of 0.1-0.2dB - Max 0.3dB

Which is another great thing about the move to TalkTalk. BT's SNRM was all over the place some days.

I was synced at 79995 / 20000 with BT but it was sluggish coupled with random reboots.

I am beginning to think the supplied HG633 is just better than the HH5, I've never seen an uptime of over 2 days when I was on Infinity 2.

It just shows how much of a nightmare it was with BT that I'm jumping with excitement because of an uptime...How sad am I?  :-X

Thanks again for the insight,

P.S.
I'm going to have a snoop around on here and see if I can learn more and expand my knowledge. It's better than an ISP 'community' site.
Certainly full of cracking information especially for myself as I do want to learn more.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »

Which is another great thing about the move to TalkTalk. BT's SNRM was all over the place some days.

How could the SNRm become better with a different ISP as the line characeristics will still be same unless LLU has something to do with better SNRm  :-\

Or a better Modem  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:10:29 PM by NewtronStar »

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »

How could the SNRm become better with a different ISP as the line characeristics will still be same unless LLU has something to do with better SNRm  :-\

More likely to different modems possibly as the TT router uses a Broadcom chipset, therefore possibly a slightly lower sync on an ECI cab.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 11:13:21 PM »

Hi jid that sounds right it's amazing how much a different modem makes to ones line statisics

DMZ

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »

Hi NewtronStar,
Um...
Maybe the line here is better?

I moved house...Relocating could be the answer.  :lol:

As jid has said it could possibly be modem they use, I rather sacrifice a litte sync for reliability.

...I suffer from those Home Hub flashbacks. Horrid!  :(

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:15:02 AM »

Indeed even moving from a broadcom 6368 (HG612) to broadcom 63168 has shown to have better SNRm.

I have a feeling the HG612 is very weak in the SNRm department and open to internal/external noise which newer modems seem to have overcome this issue.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 07:15:49 AM »

According to the list of approved VDSL2 modems, the HG633 uses a Triductor chipset, not Broadcom.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 07:24:05 AM »

I'd say the main contributing factor was moving house  ;)

When you were considering whete to move to was the estimated speed a consideration?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

DMZ

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »

Triductor?
Sounds like something Doc Brown would use alongside the flux capacitor.  ;D
Never heard of that one ejs.

Hi Ronski,
I think the move was indeed somewhat, maybe, definitely a contributing factor ha!
(I'm trying to look smart by saying silly things, is it convincing enough?)

The estimated speeds were a consideration as I do live streaming via YouTube, so higher bandwidth especially on the upload is important to me.
Plus I wanted the lower latency for the gaming side - PS4, PC and Xbox One. Downloading/uploading things is common in the household.

Virgin at one point was considered too...

But their fair access policy for uploads is poor, possible congestion issues, speed decreases, latency/routing for gaming looked bad.
Many factors put me off - Virgin may have 200 Mbps down to offer, raw speed is nice-ish but quality is more important. And their jitter looked horrible too, yuck!!

I'm kind of picky I guess. I really couldn't go back to ADSL ever again or cable. Thankfully where I am fibre is available to approx 95% of the region.
It's just a gamble with cabinet distance, line conditions and not going with BT ever again!

Can anyone see how badly their Home Hub 5 has affected me?
Lol. It still scares me honestly.  :-\

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »

You can buy your own modem/router, you don't have to use the ISP supplied device.

DMZ

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion ejs but I'm perfectly happy with the one TalkTalk has provided, I just haven't heard of Triductor before is all.
These past three days have been heaven since it was up and running.

But if I ever wanted to get my own I can see what is recommended by you guys as I've been looking around on here and what can I say?
You all know what's what and other bits 'n bobs.  :)

Quick edit:
I looked up Triductor on Google and I seen it was certified by BT on their site and they (Triductor.) Support G.Fast, G.INP and Vectoring. Shame I'm on an ECI cabinet blah!
I've been reading up all about the mishaps...Poo.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:19:35 PM by DMZ »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »

I hadn't heard of Triductor either before I saw it on one of those lists of approved devices. I don't think the HG633 will support G.fast though.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »

I was synced at 79995 / 20000 with BT but it was sluggish coupled with random reboots.
it's the switching of modems or moving house that has changed snrm fluctuation, as simply switching isp on fttc would make absolutely no difference what so ever.

personally I find the hg612 much more stable on my line than the hg633. don't know if that's anything to do with the ECI cabinet or just my line in general.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2