Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Strange happenings on my line yesterday  (Read 52806 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Strange happenings on my line yesterday
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2016, 01:25:27 PM »

Well it dropped again at 12:26 today. Now asked TT for immediate action, however they have not yet responded to my earlier update.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »

My line seems to be getting worse so if I could only get an OR guy out now he might stand a chance of fixing the problem. My D/S is not good and has loads of errors now but the U/S is 288kbps with only the U0 U/S SNRM band with a non-zero value, plus the power is -4.4dbm.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

If I was tasked with resolving this elusive intermittent fault, knowing the back-history and with sight of the three plots, attached below, then I would be looking for a "one leg dis".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »

That modem is really doing well, your line is hammered!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »

Well with 1000's of errors I decided a power down/up was needed and s*d the 30 minute wait, so now I'm back with my normal speeds for now until I suspect DLM kicks in because of all the cr*p today. If I dont get someone out to fix this quickly  there are probably two CEO's who might get emails  ;) note I said MIGHT, I'll give them one ore chance.

Stuart

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »

I am as peed off as you Bstairs your line should have been fixed during that telephone fault of course we never got what was fixed during that time yet someone here said it was an HR issue then fixed that was fixed on the E side but you still have fault on the D side.

So all i can think of your line had two faults and one is fix E side the other is not fixed D side.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I can see a similarity to Bald_Eagle1's problem of some years ago.

In his case, one of the copper conductors of the pair in the "tail" cable (which links the pole top DP to the underground D-side cable) had fractured. The PVC insulation held the two ends close together and the circuit "sort of" worked, albeit with degraded performance. The circuit's performance was better in mid-winter rather than mid-summer due to the change in the PVC insulation's properties with temperature. (Softening.)

Essentially the circuit behaved as if there was a parallel resistor/capacitor shunt connected in series with one leg of the pair . . . which acted rather like a high pass filter. The defect was also vibration sensitive. So whenever the pole was climbed by an Openreach technician, the modem - DSLAM resynchronised.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »

I might do a bit of 'vibration testing' on the pole tomorrow  ;) 4lb lump hammer would be useful  ;) reminds me of my days as a hardware engineer when we used to also do a bit of environmental testing with a can of freon spray and a hair dryer  :lol:

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:22 AM »

Right now the problem is still happening and the TT Network Team are now investigating so I might get somewhere now. I'll leave my 4lb hammer in the shed for now  ;)

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »

Well I've now had two days of the TT Network Team supposedly investigating but no feedback, I asked on the community yesterday but they just said no feedback yet. My line is not recovering at all now. The U1 SNRM band is staying at zero. Just to be safe I dug out my HG635 yesterday and put it on for a while to see if it did any better and eliminate the ZyXEL (which I'd done before but hey better safe than sorry) but no it was just as bad so back to the ZyXEL now as the wi-fi is better. This morning after a manual re-sync the U1 band is still zero although the error rate (FECs apart) is very low but U/S sync is 800kbps.

Now I have to wait till Monday to be able to get any feedback as I doubt there will be anyone investigating end user issues in their Network Team over the weekend.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2016, 09:58:45 AM »

I've come to the conlcusion that DLM is downright stupid, I got hit again this morning by DLM adding more interleaving by the looks of it but still only 800kbps U/S sync with no U1 band. Whoever designed DLM seems to think that all errors or re-syncs must be caused by downstream problems when the vast majority of my problems are upstream, so all it does is make downstream worse and has zero effect on upstream, someone needs to design some more realistic options into DLM and do it fast.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »

Right now I am quite surprised my line is working at all looking at the available tomes and the QLN and Hlog, I have only one SNRM band working up and loads of errors down. As I expected no updates from the TT Network team as I suspect they dont work much at weekends. I will be raising merry hell with TT on Monday morning.

Stuart

DLM intervened and QLN and Hlog now look better although still only one up SNRM band, the re-sync was caused by d/s SNRM going to -0.6db!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:43:20 AM by broadstairs »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »

Right now I am quite surprised my line is working at all looking at the available tomes and the QLN and Hlog, I have only one SNRM band working up and loads of errors down. As I expected no updates from the TT Network team as I suspect they dont work much at weekends. I will be raising merry hell with TT on Monday morning.

Stuart

DLM intervened and QLN and Hlog now look better although still only one up SNRM band, the re-sync was caused by d/s SNRM going to -0.6db!
That one word speaks volumes? :P ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »

:lol: my awful twyping  ;)

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »

Just looked at my U/S SNRM and at 19:44 U0 was 1.9 and U2 was 0.5 by 19:45 U0 was 24.2 and U2 was 23.3. A sudden jump of that magnitude with no re-sync seems very strange to me. U1 band has remained at zero.

Stuart
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18