Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Installation worries  (Read 1713 times)

Ruffles

• Just arrived
FTTC Installation worries
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »

Hello All,

I advised a friend of mine to join Xilo recently after getting great service myself for years, but I'm a bit concerned about the migration. She's currently with BT on ADSL and signed up for XILO 80mb FTTC a couple of weeks back. The order emails all came through giving new login details, router settings and a changeover date of tomorrow, but when she called them today to ask about a time for the Openreach visit they said no visit was needed, they then asked about her current router, which they said would be fine. Am I missing something here? Surely she'd at least need to be sent a VDSL modem? Is it possible they don't know she's on ADSL? Surely they can tell automatically when raing the order?

Many thanks for any help.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: FTTC Installation worries
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »

Most ADSL to VDSL conversions are built as *'Self-installs' by the ISP's. This only requires us (Openreach) to perform the necessary work at the street cabinet (The green boxes you will sometimes see us working in, at the side of the road).

As regards the modem/router ......... again, most newer versions are both ADSL and VDSL compatible ?? Gone are the days of needing a separate VDSL modem. However, how the ISP can tell whether your friend is using a VDSL compatible router I'm guessing is by looking at the routers chipset ?? This bit is not my forte, so others may be able to help further.

* If your friend notices that her circuit deteriorates daily after the self-install has been performed, I would suggest she rings her ISP and raises a fault for an ELF (Early Life Failure). More often than not, it will be the internal wiring that causes the circuits speeds to be affected and is more noticeable on VDSL rather than an ADSL product.

Hope this helps.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

Would you be able to find out which modem/router your friend currently uses? A quick telephone call, perhaps?

If so, we may be able to clarify "what's what".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ruffles

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies, both. I can't get hold of her now, but I remember it being a newish looking Asus. Black Sheep has left me a bit encouraged, perhaps things have just moved on quite a bit since I went FTTC a couple of years back, when it seemed pretty standard to assume people's routers were ADSL and issue a modem as standard.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

:) :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »

By Xilo, do you mean Uno?

As has been covered above, virtually all new FTTC installations are now self install - and customers are either provided with a FTTC modem/router by the ISP (BT/Sky/Talktalk) or have to source one themselves.

Uno don't provide modems as standard but do sell subsidised ones at: https://www.uno.net.uk/equipment/

It all depends on what Asus model it is I guess and if it's a modem/router rather than just a router only.

Openreach's specs say that all FTTC modems need to also be able to support ADSL (be backwards compatible) but afaik they are always marketed as FTTC models..

anything