Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Can I Improve My Connection?  (Read 12774 times)

MarkyR74

Can I Improve My Connection?
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:08:56 AM »

Hi guy's, after some advice. I want to see if their is anything I can do to improve my connection?
My line was an exchange only line and I got a pretty good 18Mbps on ADSL with Plusnet on it, I used a Home Hub 5 Type A and I installed an Open Reach VDSL Mk3 faceplate.

I then changed over to BT for Infinity 1 when fibre went live, they have built a brand new PSTN cab and a brand new Fibre cab right outside the exchange on the pavement, I am connected to these, the fibre cab is a Huawei one.

I have just been using the BT Home Hub 5 Type B I was sent by BT with my VDSL Mk3 faceplate, I have also tried in the test socket with the filter BT supplied with the Home Hub with no improvement.

When I first connected the HUB I got 29Mbps, I did a few restarts to try and improve this but didn't, after a couple of day's I dropped to 27mbps. I have tried a CAT 6 DSL lead but I then read on here that they were not a reputable supplier and I have a new Tandy ADSL Nation super fast DSL cable coming to me to try.

My connection is currently at 26Mbps.
Kitz estimates my line length to be 1.1 KM in length, BT quoted me a minimum guaranteed speed of 23 Mbps! And an estimated download of 27 to 38 Mbps. How can I get my 29Mbps back? Or is that never going to happen?

I was getting over 27Mbps up to a few day's ago with an estimated speed on the HH5 of over 32Mbps.

Here are my current stats and what DSL checker states:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:24:43 AM by MarkyR74 »

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: Can I Improve My Connection?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »

I am sure others on here will give a more technical answer, but do you detect any practical difference between 26 and 29 mbs?

I would at the moment just see how things run.

As for cables I doubt the new one will make much difference unless there is a fault with the existing one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:23:35 AM by stevebrass »
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »

I suspect from the max data rate, that your line may be interleaved.
Interleaving - or more correctly FEC - takes away some sync speed, plus it also seems to artificially inflate the max data rate.
A very rough (but totally inaccurate) guide to a truer figure would be to halve the differential. Which takes you somewhere around 28Mbps.   

The estimated speed for vdsl2 @ 1km is ~28Mbps.
Plus if you do have interleaving and FEC applied, then that would likely account for the majority of the loss of sync speed.

*I'm not even going to mention cross-talk at this point :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MarkyR74

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »

I am sure others on here will give a more technical answer, but do you detect any practical difference between 26 and 29 mbs?

I would at the moment just see how things run.

As for cables I doubt the new one will make much difference unless there is a fault with the existing one.

3mbps is all you got only a few years ago! I want as much as I can get.

I suspect from the max data rate, that your line may be interleaved.
Interleaving - or more correctly FEC - takes away some sync speed, plus it also seems to artificially inflate the max data rate.
A very rough (but totally inaccurate) guide to a truer figure would be to halve the differential. Which takes you somewhere around 28Mbps.   

The estimated speed for vdsl2 @ 1km is ~28Mbps.
Plus if you do have interleaving and FEC applied, then that would likely account for the majority of the loss of sync speed.

*I'm not even going to mention cross-talk at this point :/

How can I get it onto Fastpath? Any tricks I can do? Or on fibre does it just turn off interleave? Hmm so I should be getting 28 to 29Mbps then.

MarkyR74

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »

Ok, so I got my Tandy ADSL Nation cable today and it performs worst then my existing CAT6 DSL lead. I will send it back and keep my existing lead.
Router stats with the cables connected, the Tandy cable is on the top, the CAT 6 cable is on the bottom:

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »

CAT6 cable will be the best connection wise...

Did you have an engineer install your fibre or was it a self install upgrade?

MarkyR74

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:41:02 PM »

I installed it all myself including my faceplate, I got that off Amazon. Yeah I've left the CAT 6 in now as it gave an extra 1.3Mbps.
I just did some pings over wireless and to google.co.uk and BBC.co.uk they are both around the 22 to 23 with the odd spike to 28, so no real problem their I don't think?

I guess all I can do is leave the router alone and see what DLM does after a few day's? I read up on Interleaving and it seems you can't really turn it off, DLM just adjusts it's settings?

I would consider a different router, but again if my estimate is 28Mbps and I'm getting over 26Mbps then I suppose theirs no guarantee of an improvement using a different router.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »

As your on a Huawei cab hopefully g.inp will kick in soon and that should give back what interleaving has taken, presuming you are of course interleaved which it looks like you are, even those pings suggest your interleaved.

I'd leave it alone for a few days, too much fiddling will make things worse.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

MarkyR74

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »

As your on a Huawei cab hopefully g.inp will kick in soon and that should give back what interleaving has taken, presuming you are of course interleaved which it looks like you are, even those pings suggest your interleaved.

I'd leave it alone for a few days, too much fiddling will make things worse.

Yeah, I agree, on forums people say leave the connection alone for 2 weeks and DLM should kick in. Ho hum at least it's faster then my 18Mbps ADSL was.

What pings should I be getting with G.Inp turned on?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:07:07 PM by MarkyR74 »

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 05:05:26 PM »

Ok, so I got my Tandy ADSL Nation cable today and it performs worst then my existing CAT6 DSL lead. I will send it back and keep my existing lead.
Router stats with the cables connected, the Tandy cable is on the top, the CAT 6 cable is on the bottom:
Do you have a link to your CAT6 DSL Cable I currently have a Tandy cable connected.
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

MarkyR74

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 05:12:41 PM »

Do you have a link to your CAT6 DSL Cable I currently have a Tandy cable connected.

I bought it from here but some people don't think his cables are very good, but as you can see from my stats his cable is giving me better performance then the Tandy's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261668855936?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He will make them to any length you want or you can buy them 0.5, 1, 2 metres etc. The cable s pretty thick to warn you though, it's not as pliable as the Tandy cable is.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »

I think I have owned one of them in the past, and I remember the cable pops out of the connector very easily. I've been using a Tandy cable ever since but ill order another one just to see if there is any difference in stats.
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

MarkyR74

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »

Ah, mine is fine, the cable is in there pretty solid. I haven't tried to yank it out but it seems fine to me.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »

On fast path, or g.inp I normally get around 10, some get much quicker, some a bit longer, where you are in the country will have an affect.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

MarkyR74

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »

On fast path, or g.inp I normally get around 10, some get much quicker, some a bit longer, where you are in the country will have an affect.

A fair bit faster then, I'm in North Dorset so about 160 miles from London. I'll keep an eye on it all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4