Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: William Grimsley's Line - After DLM Reset  (Read 35870 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: William Grimsley's Line - After DLM Reset
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2016, 05:57:44 PM »

People are arguing on the BT Care Community Forums that because my phone is cordless they think it's just the noise with the phone but I don't want it to get the point where the noise gets worse and I then phone up, I am awaiting a text from Glenn to see what he thinks.

This could be interesting given Glenn told you your line was spot on. You're telling him he was wrong. See how he reacts.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »

Is there any way you can plug in a corded phone?

If a corded phone is getting noise on the line then raise it as a voice fault.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »

Sorry, we don't have a corded phone but I could buy one. I'm not saying he was wrong, I told him I was getting a bit of line noise. For heaven sake people STOP GOING AT ME! Rage quit!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »

How did you know you had line noise without a phone to hear it on?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »

I have a cordless phone! ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »

The noise must be bad to hear it on that, they usually do noise-cancelling. Which is why corded phones are recommended for trouble shooting, plus the fact that the base station can interfere with VDSL

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

Ok, thanks for your help.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2016, 07:27:29 PM »

Jeeze I can't even be at my friends funeral without getting a mod report.   Not read all posts as on mobile.  However I will state I'm not happy on the slightest.  You chose to ignore my advise that I reckoned 42mb instead correcting me that it would be 46.   I've spent countless hours trying to explain how interleaving and error correction reduces speed but you thought you knew best and chose only to read the bits you wanted.

I most certainly am not in the mood right now to discuss further.  Your posts are insulting towards those that have tried to help.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »

Only just had time to read this thread in full and to be quite frank, I am disgusted at some of the comments.
The moderators and admin have always tried to make allowances for Williams condition, far more than most would.

For that all we have gotten is snide comments such as "At least someone on here cares and actually is willing to help" and you rubbishing information from people who have tried to help.

I have spent hours and hours trying to help William and he has repeatedly chosen to ignore that advice, preferring to read what he wants.  I have never said he would get 46Mbps and tried on numerous occasions that I estimate it would be nearer 42Mbps with G.INP.   A fact that William chose to ignore as along with the detailed reasons why FEC causes overhead and why when a line is interleaved then the sync rate goes down.

Despite the fact being told I was away at a funeral, its not a good idea to constantly fire off emails to me.   
I don't have the SMTP set up on my phone for the website, only incoming redirects to my personal e-mail for mod notifications.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

lcl00

« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »

I've been following along (silently) and I must stand alongside you on this one.  I've seen the admins and moderators make substantial allowances for William's ASC.  I know quite a lot about this condition and the difficulty that people with it can face, and by giving them the leeway you have would mean the world to many of my friends in the same situation.  Thanks, kitz. :)

William, however, clearly has not realized that an ASC is NOT a carte blanche to say and do what you want and to treat people however you fancy.  Just because you're frustrated does not give you the right to stomp around and treat people horribly.  This is especially true when you've blatantly ignored or misconstrued what someone has *helpfully* said to you because it didn't meet your expectations.  The people on this forum have gone out of their way MASSIVELY to put up with the bombarding that this board has been subjected to (1000+ posts in a very short space of time!).  They've helped enormously responding to loads of posts.  One minute they get 'thanks' and then lambasted the next.  It is simply not fair, nor acceptable, to do this to people.  I hope that William soon comes to a very swift realization that life will be VERY difficult if conduct in this manner continues.  Had he been on any other forum, he would've long been banned, and I have a feeling that if it continues at this rate, that could well happen here too.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2016, 07:57:04 PM »

I've been following along (silently) and I must stand alongside you on this one.  I've seen the admins and moderators make substantial allowances for William's ASC.  I know quite a lot about this condition and the difficulty that people with it can face, and by giving them the leeway you have would mean the world to many of my friends in the same situation.

Thanks for naming the condition - ASC

I'm just looking at these

http://www.cheshireautism.org.uk/asc/what-is-autism-spectrum-condition/

https://www.livingwellessex.org/autism-in-the-community/helping-people-with-autism-in-public/

lcl00

« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2016, 08:09:17 PM »

The Autistic Spectrum is vast and covers a substantial set of different issues along the spectrum.  It's quite an interesting and complex condition, and many of those are incredibly intelligent and present abilities substantially beyond that of those of us deemed 'typical' for want of a better word.  William does appear to be a smart young lad, but unfortunately his social skills still require a little work.  I have no doubt that he'll get there... but I did feel it necessary to point out that being respectful of others is not optional.  I'm not suggesting by any means that it's easy, especially with the large amount of interpretation that can be taken from text on a forum, but 'speaking your mind', is not always acceptable social conduct.  I know if I'd spoken my mind every time I felt like it, I'd have quite a few less teeth!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:38 AM »

It seems unfair to talk about William when he isnt around to speak for himself, but in view of the fact that he is quite open about his illness and even had it in his signature that he has Asperger's Syndrome.   I only mention it now for the sake of correctness.   

It is for that reason, we gave him some additional lea-way and why we tried so hard to help. But there comes a point where it becomes unfair to others when behaviour gets unacceptable.

Anyhow that isnt the reason I re-opened the thread, its because I had something further to add re the G.INP discussion.   Ive just not got around to making that post yet.

PS..  Its not new news,  just a discussion on the general technology behind Error Correction.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:03:24 AM by kitz »
-----

lcl00

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2016, 06:33:39 AM »

It seems unfair to talk about William when he isnt around to speak for himself, but in view of the fact that he is quite open about his illness and even had it in his signature that he has Asperger's Syndrome.   I only mention it now for the sake of correctness.   

It is for that reason, we gave him some additional lea-way and why we tried so hard to help. But there comes a point where it becomes unfair to others when behaviour gets unacceptable.

Anyhow that isnt the reason I re-opened the thread, its because I had something further to add re the G.INP discussion.   Ive just not got around to making that post yet.

PS..  Its not new news,  just a discussion on the general technology behind Error Correction.

Apologies, I actually assumed William was indeed still around to see the posts!  I only knew of the condition because he does, fortunately, speak of it.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2016, 08:07:28 AM »

He was actually in the active users list last night when you posted but presumably chose not to respond.

I think you posted very wise words, and if William can in any way learn from them then I believe it will do him more good than any advice we can give him regarding his DSL connection.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:10:00 AM by atkinsong »
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

anything