Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: cabinet and line identification  (Read 1192 times)

plexy

• Reg Member
cabinet and line identification
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »

hi folks
I have an elderly friend who has been languishing on a very long pair with 2meg broadband out in the countryside for quite some time. The thing is, BT upgraded his whole area based on local government funds and all of the houses around him can get FTTC. He cannot, and his line returns the following in the wholesale checker

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

this line is years old and has had DSL service for years. but every provider he calls says he cannot get any services whatsoever (one even told him there is no way he has ADSL on his line right now!)

Anything I can do to help him here?
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

plexy

• Reg Member
Re: cabinet and line identification
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

additional thought; postcode checker says his postcode can only get 2 to 3 meg ADSL.

the phone number of his next door neighbor says 70-80 meg FTTC
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »

Which ISP and phone provider is he with?

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »

BT for both i believe. I will double check but pretty sure its BT.

We checked his neighbor to the left side of him (different neighbor to the one in prev post), their line is also on cabinet 2 but the expected speeds are 22 to 40 impacted, 40-50 clean.

Very odd this one, it looks like the engineers may have muffed something up in the system - these are 4 cottages in between two FTTC enabled villages, 3 of the houses have ADSL and one has FTTC. The postcode shows no FTTC but the line checker shows FTTC available on his left neighbors line at 70-80 meg, and on his right hand side neighbors line at 22 to 50 meg. On his line there is no service available (but its ADSL enabled, suspected from BT but will find out)

sounds like a fuster cluck somewhere.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

anything